ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

jittering color channels

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
felicia van osjittering color channels
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 4:37:30 pm

Hi, I am applying a several fairly severe effects to the color channels in my video for a funky look, using Exposure, Color Balance and Hue/Saturation. Basically I am amping up the contrast a LOT and changing the color of everything else. I'm getting the desired color, but when playing the video there is a lot of jittering of color pixels, I guess because the in-between gray values are no longer there. Adding some blur does not take care of it (and I can't add so much that the whole image blurs out).

I would really appreciate some ideas on how I may smooth the video without sacrificing my crazy color treatment. I hope my description is clear enough. Thanks very much.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: jittering color channels
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 4:39:45 pm

What kind of footage is this?
Please give details on its horizontal & vertical resolution, its codec, and the camera used to shoot it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

felicia van osRe: jittering color channels
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 5:34:00 pm

It was shot 1920x1080 on a Canon Mark 4. The codec is Apple ProRes.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: jittering color channels
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 5:47:18 pm

A video image is rarely as cut-and-dried as it first appears. You'd probably have similar troubles even with high-resolution still images, for the same reason.

Despite their names, there are some third-party Cartoon plugins that might help you out. Since I can't get them, I'm not very familiar with their names.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Feb 28, 2011 at 5:54:07 pm

Stills from this footage treated the same way are fine. It's actually how I get around some of the issues for non-moving backgrounds. But on the live-action areas, it's the frame-to-frame action that causes the color pixel jitter (the pixels jump from frame to frame). I realize I am torturing the footage with what I am doing to it, but was hoping for some effect or that counteracts that...

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: jittering color channels
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 7:31:28 pm

More specific details on what you're doing to the footage might help formulate an answer.

Have you tried turning off an effect at a time to see which may be causing the trouble? I would start with the Hue/Saturation effect.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Feb 28, 2011 at 7:56:26 pm

I have discovered that the Exposure effect is meant to work with 32bit only. I am using it with 8bit video, which is why it is producing the "bitty" effect. It's cool looking as a still but I was looking for more control over it in video. Maybe I should try Colorama instead.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: jittering color channels
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 9:40:45 pm

What are you doing with the Exposure effect? There may be another way to achieve this.

Also, try changing your project settings to 32bpc depth, it probably won't fix your issue but stranger fixes have been found :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Feb 28, 2011 at 11:09:04 pm

I am actually finding a different way to create a similar effect to what I was going for using Colorama instead. Much smoother. I think I solved my problem... thanks everyone for pitching in.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 7, 2011 at 2:48:54 am

OK, update on the jittering. Colorama made things better but not well. What did is the plug-in Denoiser (Trapcode/Red Giant). Amazing results for a low price. Smooths out camera jitter beautifully. (My effects were greatly worsening jitter already present in the footage).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]