ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to export Hi Rez Jpg in After Effects???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tiff McGinnis
How to export Hi Rez Jpg in After Effects???
on Feb 28, 2011 at 7:41:06 am

Hello!

I am an audio/ visual artist using Flash & After Effects. I need to export an image sequence of my latest work in Hi Resolution asap!! But every time I do it, It exports at 72 dpi... I've looked around in preferences and export settings, but can find anything?? Is there a secret magic button somewhere I can hit 300 dpi?? Please help me!! Thanks!

Tiff McGinnis

http://www.vimeo.com/crazygirltv

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to export Hi Rez Jpg in After Effects???
on Feb 28, 2011 at 3:19:56 pm

After Effects doesn't know about the concept of Dots Per Inch. Photoshop does. AE only knows about pixels (aka the Dots in DPI). So if you want to do a Save Frame As operation in AE, you too have to think in terms of pixels.

Simply do the arithmetic.

For example: a 10-inch-wide still image at 300 dpi would be 3,000 pixels wide. You can always tell Photoshop that a 72 dpi image is actually 300 dpi. Just make sure you actually have the "d's" to justify doing so.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tiff McGinnis
on Feb 28, 2011 at 3:40:35 pm

I did blow it up to around 3000 by 2500.. they are vector animations i do in flash, so changing the size doesn't seem to effect the quality in AE4.. but when i saved frame as & then opened it in photo shop... it was 72dpi ... i changed it to 300dpi, but when i blew it up to 100%, it was very poor blurry resolution.. and i need screen grabs of my video work to be printed in a book... know any software that will take a hi rez screen grab??

Thanx Dave!!

tiff mcginnis

http://www.vimeo.com/crazygirltv

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 28, 2011 at 4:32:17 pm

Let me make sure we're understanding you:
You made your AE composition 3000x2500 pixels (and in AE everything looked fine at 100%), saved a frame of it, imported that still frame into Photoshop, changed the resolution to 300 pixels per inch (which would result in a 10" x 8.333" document), and it looked bad?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tiff McGinnis
on Feb 28, 2011 at 4:50:44 pm

to be honest, i wasnt blowing it up in AE at 100% oops.. just looked and it's kinda ruff.. ill go back in flash re-export at 3000 by 2000... then reimport in AE CS4 at the same size and see if it makes a diff... oops! thanx!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 28, 2011 at 4:37:37 pm

It's no big deal, and yeah, Adobe does muddy the waters on the terminology, but just so you know, there's a BIG difference between AE 4 and AE CS 4.
It's sort of like referring to Pro Tools 9 as Pro Tools 3 because 3 is the square root of 9.

But I digress.

Two things may be contributing to your plight:
1) you're not using the Continuously Rasterize switch on your flash footage
2) you're trying to use Open GL to accelerate rendering (rarely useful, often harmful)

A third possibility could be a really long shot: you're trying to use multiprocessing in AE, but your machine only has 8 GB RAM or less, in which case it should be turned off.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tiff McGinnis
on Feb 28, 2011 at 4:45:02 pm

I meant AE CS4 ... I do rasterize.. i dont use open GL... not using multiprocessing...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 28, 2011 at 5:37:24 pm

If you're on a Mac, you can use OX 10's Grab utility to get a picture of your AE comp window. At full resolution and 100% scale, you may need multiple grabs, but you could piece them together in Photoshop.

The Grab utility makes tiff files.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Rob Erobs
on Feb 28, 2011 at 5:37:34 pm

I'm working on a similar project, I tried exporting using save frame as and got the same result as you. Then I tried this which worked:

1) shorten work area to one frame
2) export using make movie
3) change output format to photoshop sequence with no compression
4) in photoshop change the resolution to 300 dpi

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Feb 28, 2011 at 7:34:09 pm

[Tiff McGinnis] "i changed it to 300dpi, but when i blew it up to 100%, it was very poor blurry resolution.."

Make sure you do not have "Resample Image" enabled when you use Image Size in Photoshop.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]