ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D Photo Montage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Rierson3D Photo Montage
by on Feb 27, 2011 at 11:47:01 pm

Hello, everyone, got an issue......I completed a 3D photo montage in After Effects. I have the camera zooming and flying around in space to different pictures etc.... Now. After I export and import into Final Cut Pro 7, my zooms and everything becomes choppy (almost like a stutter between pics) and I lose the smoothness that I created it as. The .mov file that I export from AE looks perfect but after importing into FCP it gets choppy. I know its probably a FCP issue. Here are my settings: In AE; NTSC DV Widescreen 720 x 480 29.97 and rendered with Best Settings and Lossless with alpha........In FCP; field dominance is lower even----pixel aspect ratio is ntsc ccir 601/ dv 720 x 480----Frame size NTSC 4:3 and the sequence preset is apple prores 422 (hq)1440 x 1080 30p 48kHz......please help!!

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: 3D Photo Montage
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 2:27:36 am

[Kevin Rierson] "Frame size NTSC 4:3 and the sequence preset is apple prores 422 (hq)1440 x 1080 30p 48kHz......please help!!
"

Um, your sequence preset isn't NTSC 4:3.

Return to posts index

Kevin RiersonRe: 3D Photo Montage
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 3:29:41 am

i tried that but it doesnt work. Thanks anyway

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: 3D Photo Montage
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 4:02:16 am

I'm not sure why your Sequence Preset is 1440 X 1080, 30P, ProRes.
That doesn't match your footage. Your FCP timeline is set to lower field dominance, but you made no mention of rendering with fields.

Also wondering why you rendered with an Alpha channel. Does your composition require transparency in FCP?

Create your FCP sequence by dragging your clip to an empty timeline. When prompted to match Sequence Settings to footage, choose yes.

What codec did you render to from AE? If was Animation, the default, then your sequence in FCP was being asked to simultaneously transcode and upres, and that will not allow for realtime playback. FCP is trying to lower the framerate and quality to match your system's hardware for playback without rendering.

Render to the codec you want to use in FCP.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2011 at 2:11:43 am

Yes I used a background in FCP so that is why I rendered with alpha. Also, I did render animation. Should I render a different codec? And I probably need to change my sequence presets, huh?......And how can I create a true widescreen without my picture going off screen before it actually reaches the border of my TV, if that makes sense. Sometimes my final product will show like a box inside my tv screen, with the black border all the way around it. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2011 at 1:44:52 pm

Since your destination is dvd - I assume - since you mention watching it on your t.v., then your dvd will need to be encoded for 4:3 widescreen.
But this doesn't mean you can't create your source at HD 16:9. After all, you may want to post an HD version to the web at some point.

You can keep your project HD throughout the creation process, and when you're ready to encode for dvd, Compressor will automatically make a 4:3 SD widescreen mpeg for use in DVD Studio Pro, when you use one of the dvd presets.

When you view this on a television, it will have standard letterboxing, so that it maintains its 16:9 aspect ratio, within the t.v.'s 4:3 frame.

On your current project, though, you created your AE comp as NTSC 4:3 widescreen. That's okay, but you won't be able to have an HD project this time without recreating your AE project.

Do you have Final Cut Studio 3?

If so, render your AE comp with Best Settings, and in the Output Module choose Prores 4444. Millions of colors+, Straight Alpha.

Bring this into FCP. Drag the clip to an empty timeline, and when prompted to match sequence setings to footage, choose yes. You now have the proper sequence settings to finish building the rest of your project.

When you've finished your edit, Export a Quicktime Movie - don't use Quicktime Conversion. The QT setting will be Current Settings, Self Contained.

Then all you have to do is bring this into Compressor, drag on a DVD preset that works for the duration of your clip, e.g. Best Quality, 90 mins., choose a destination for the file, and hit submit. Take the resulting mpeg and .ac3 audio into DVD Studio Pro and author your disk.

If you're using FCP Studio 2, you will have to export with the Animation codec, if you want a alpha channel. The downside of this is that your FCP sequence will constantly require rendering as you make changes. It's a painful way to work, and it would be worth considering whether you can do all of your compositing in AE beforehand so that you don't require an alpha channel for FCP. Then you can render to ProRes 422 HQ, which will still allow for realtime playback w/o rendering in your FCP timeline.

Hope this helps.

Joey Foreman

Return to posts index

by on Mar 2, 2011 at 5:02:25 am

I do have Final Cut Studio 3. I appreciate all the knowledge and Im gonna give it a try here in a sec.
Thanks

Return to posts index

by on Mar 5, 2011 at 3:49:56 pm

Well, I did exactly as you said and it exported just fine and the stuttering seemed to stop but unfortunately my pictures werent there. Instead of my pictures there was an all white box. My camera movement was a lot smoother but my pictures were gone. They're in my project though and I still see them while in AE, but after exporting, there gone. Why is this?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 6, 2011 at 10:52:09 am

Not sure, really. Do you have the latest update for your version of AE?

If you have openGL on, turn it off.

Does the problem persist if you render to Animation instead of ProRes?

If you're in version CS4 or earlier, I would be happy to take a look at your project.

You can upload a version that just has a couple of the photos (for a smaller upload,) and I'll attempt to diagnose the issue.

Joey Foreman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]