ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

VIdeo Glitches when exporting AVI's out of AE CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cindy WellerVIdeo Glitches when exporting AVI's out of AE CS5
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 6:46:56 pm

I have been working in CS5 for a couple of months now and I keep having problems when I export out an AVI File. It Glitches. Either black or static shows up half way or a quarter of the way up the screen for one frame, it starting to get very annoying. To get around the problem I have to export the file several times and edit them together. Very time consuming. The files are very complex, 60 plus layers with many pre-composed files built in. The ram usage stays around 60% while exporting and I try not to do anything else on the computer at the same time. I have an HP 6gig of ram quad core processor so I believe I should have the power in the machine to do the export. Is there a setting I can change to keep the quality. (oh I'm working with HD 1920 x 1080p video files). My normal process is to export out of AE and then import into either Avid Express Pro or Premiere Pro and then export as a Quick Time H.264.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
C

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: VIdeo Glitches when exporting AVI's out of AE CS5
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 7:44:10 pm

which version of ae are you using? and what codec are you encoding your avi in... dv, uncompressed, etc..?

also, make sure you have the latest update for your version (the latest update for cs5 fixed many issues, so if you have cs5 make sure ae is version 10.0.1).

since you have 6gb of ram, i'd suggest setting making sure that multiprocessing is not enabled (goto ae prefs>multiprocessing & memory and make sure that 'render multiple frames simultaneously' is not checked). while you're there, make sure that you have 2gb of ram left 'for other apps' (this includes the os, so it's important not to short change the os of ram).

also, if you are choosing file>export, i would recommend choosing composition>add to render queue. you'll have more options for rendering there and usually get better performance.

and, since you mentioned importing to avid, you might consider rendering to quicktime with an avid codec. if you render on the same machine as avid is installed on, you probably have avid's quicktime codecs installed. if not, you can download them from avid for free (search avid for 'quicktime avid le codecs'). and once they are installed, they should also work with premiere.

one last note, if you are only using the nles for compressing to a quicktime with h.264 compression, you might try rendering to a lossless mov, then using a compression utility like adobe's media encoder, or mpeg streamclip (free from squared5.com), or similar. just make sure you have multi-pass enabled then set quality/data rate as needed and you should get good results and it's usually faster and easier than firing up an nle project and timeline...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Cindy WellerRe: VIdeo Glitches when exporting AVI's out of AE CS5
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 7:56:25 pm

I'm using AE CS5, I'm running in Version 10.0.1
When I export I don't run any Video Codec's. I am using the Ctrl M to export using the render que. The Avid is on a different machine and it is an older version that I've had problems keeping the quality. We did a few test and the h.264 was the best setting for the transfer. I tried rendering it as a quick time and the quality was terible.

I don't understand what nels are?

One other thing I'm a PC not a Mac.

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: VIdeo Glitches when exporting AVI's out of AE CS5
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:28:59 pm

We still need to know what codec you're using when rendering from AE to offer any help.
Most codecs at 1080 just aren't playable directly in a media player. That could be why you're seeing the glitches - your computer just can't keep up.

That's why Kevin advised you to use the Avid codecs, they should be playable at least within Avid, and most likely in Quicktime/Windows Media Player also.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

by on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:43:33 pm

I'm just using the standard setting set with AE for AVI. When I look under the Vido codec it say none. My option are:

DV (24p Advanced)
DV NTSC
DV PAL
Intel IYUV Codec
Uncompressed UYVY 422 8bit
V210 10-bit YUV
or None

The glitche are not just when I play back. I can go frame by frame and see them pop up. There in the same place everytime.

I'm trying an export as QT H.264 codec. My Test turned out good. No glitches for the short bit of video I exported and the quality is good. So now my question is it a lack of memeoy while exporting that is causing the problem (this way I was only using 25% of my RAM) or a codec setting.

Either way I really appreciate your help and all that Creative Cow offers. C

Return to posts index

Paul OtrembaRe: VIdeo Glitches when exporting AVI's out of AE CS5
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 10:28:28 pm

I see that I'm not the only person that is having this problem. I just upgraded from CS4 to CS5.5 and I now get the same glitches that Cindy is talking about.

There must be a reason. It's not a playback or a player issue. It's on the .avi itself.

I render out an uncompressed avi at 1280x720 and when I import it into Premiere or re-import it into AE, I'll always see the glitches on the same frames. This happens even on 5 second clips.

I now I can edit out the bad frames and re-render until it's perfect, but I'm hoping that somebody has some ideas that can get me back to fast editing. Any help would be awesome.

paul

Return to posts index

by on Apr 30, 2012 at 11:41:46 pm

Hey Paul, I posted that a while ago and I found that when I exported onto an external hard drive that was when I was getting the glitches. So I started exporting to my desk top then copying the files over to the external drive.

Aside from that I switch to .mov files and haven't had any problems since.
Good luck. Cindy

Return to posts index

Ron DeMarseRe: VIdeo Glitches when exporting AVI's out of AE CS5
by on Aug 26, 2012 at 6:07:23 am

I've just encountered the same problem when exporting uncompressed HD AVI files. I'm exporting effects shots from AE for use in a Premiere project. In a bizarre twist, when I export the files and play them back on VLC or Media Player Classic, they seem to play fine. When I subsequently import them into Premiere, they play back on the timeline (and in the Preview Monitor) polluted with video noise/static. After that, when I try the VLC or MPC playback, the noise/static is present. How does that make any sense? No static prior to the Premiere import, but the static is present after the import. And it's definitely part of the file, showing up at the same time, on the same frames, no matter what playback software I use (but again - only after attempting a Premiere import).

Cindy's solution worked for me. Exporting to the Desktop (instead of my USB3 external) eliminated the static altogether. Even if I copy the file back to the external and THEN import to Premiere, the static is still gone. So I have a workaround, but I'd still love to know how/why this is happening...

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: VIdeo Glitches when exporting AVI's out of AE CS5
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 8:56:33 pm

[Cindy Weller] "When I export I don't run any Video Codec's."

all media is encoded with a codec.... avi, mov, wmv, mxf, etc. are called containers. they contain the basic format for players, but they do not dictate encoding or quality -- ei, you can have an avi, mov and mxf all with dv as the codec, however you will need software that can read those specific container formats to read the media inside them... so you might have something that can read an avi, but not an mov even though they both are using similar dv compression... it's kind of confusing, i know...

when you render to avi from ae, click on output module in the render queue to open those settings. then click on the 'format options' to see what codec you are using. there are many codecs that you don't want to use when rendering from ae, so it's important to know what the codec is.

[Cindy Weller] "The Avid is on a different machine and it is an older version that I've had problems keeping the quality. We did a few test and the h.264 was the best setting for the transfer."

you should be able to update the codecs on the avid. i think these are the latest:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=372311

i've worked with avids a lot in the past, and generally speaking if you can render from ae using one of the avid quicktime codecs they will import much easier into avid (no color space, field order, or alpha settings). if your older avid is sd, then you'll want to try the avid meridien uncompressed, avid 1:1 or avid dv codecs. usually one of the best workflows with avid is to render to the avid codec that you are using on the avid -- ie, if you are working in with dv in avid, render to avid dv from ae when possible.

h.264 is fine, but you'll have a lot of problems rendering to h.246 from ae in any format, so you'll always need to compress to h.264 with another app. if that's the route you go, then you'll want to render from ae as an uncompressed avi, or lossless mov, then compress to h.264 to get the best quality (again, you'd want a compression utility that can do multi-pass encoding fo the best quality h.246).

[Cindy Weller] "I tried rendering it as a quick time and the quality was terible."

i touched on this, but the container doesn't effect quality, its the codec and the compression settings that will effect quality, so you'd need to know the codec, or just change it to lossless animation, or another high quality codec, or one of the avid codecs.

[Cindy Weller] "I don't understand what nels are?"

sorry, i probably mistyped that, it should be nle (non-linear editor... generic speak for any editing software)

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Conrad OlsonRe: VIdeo Glitches when exporting AVI's out of AE CS5
by on Feb 25, 2011 at 3:57:02 pm

If have a massive sequence that takes a long time to render I will always render to an image sequence, like tifs, then re-import that into After Effects and quickly render that into a QuickTime or AVI file. That way if something goes wrong halfway through the render you still have the frames that are already complete and you can just restart from where it failed. Also if you get glitches on individual frames you can just re-render them.

Once you have the image sequence then it's much faster to convert that into what ever format you need, QuickTime, AVI, etc

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

tanja tabucijaRe: VIdeo Glitches when exporting AVI's out of AE CS5
by on Sep 24, 2013 at 4:46:13 pm

hy, i really don't understand how i can export a finished adobe after effects project. i tryed all day and when i put it on rendering it takes 20 minutes to render it but when i open a video file, last time i exported it into avi video and it was not good. freezes after 10 seconds than play then again freezes like whean reading file, glitches... i don't know how to describe but i don't have smooth normal play... i don't write so good english. i made a wedding project in adobe after effects with so many things, layers and i would like to use it like intro. it duration is just 50 seconds, then i would like to make a menu and slideshow, add video and than burn my wedding compilation, but it seems so hard just with intro!!! how can i do that?! thank you in adwance. i have win 8 pro and Intel core 2 duo CPU with 3GB RAM. i use photoshop cc and after effects cs4, i don't have adobe premiere pro. now i tried to export in Quick time movie H.264 and it stopped with rendering after 10 min. writing this: "after effects error compressing frame of movie out of memory (-108)
(44::39). what now?!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]