ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Door open to another location trouble

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin PastrykDoor open to another location trouble
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 4:53:04 am

I have a problem that I'm sure is very simple to do, but with my novice skill of After Effects, I can't achieve it on my own. I have 2 layers: footage of a double door going from a closed to open position, and footage of a different location.

What I am trying to achieve (you can probably guess just by the two elements) is having the door isolated in black space, and when it opens, you see the footage from the other location.

My issue is with the masking of the door layer. I wasn't able to get a green screen, so I figured with a static shot of the door, it should be easy to remove all of the information that's behind the door once it opens. There are so many options on AE that I'm just not sure which one works best. And a simple rectangular mask that just expands won't do because you see the floor under the door once it goes to it's open position, so it would have to be some kind of customizable mask shape that fits between the door and the door frame.

I have After Effects 6.5, and just really haven't used it in a couple of years. If you know how to help, please let me know. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Door open to another location trouble
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 6:56:33 am

Rotoscoping should do the trick for you. Here's another link.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Justin PastrykRe: Door open to another location trouble
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 9:20:21 am

Right on the money, thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved