ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Seeking advice on which application to use for multimedia presentation...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott ShealySeeking advice on which application to use for multimedia presentation...
by on Feb 23, 2011 at 8:37:18 pm

I'm looking for advice from much more experienced folks than me on what application I should use that would best accomplish my vision.

First off, I am somewhat new to video creation and editing, and most familiar with print design, however, I want to create a multimedia project that incorporates some animation and audio files to go along with text. My intent is for this to be viewable on computer only and I want to give my audience the ability to navigate through this presentation through buttons or links. I will be importing .swf, .png, and .wav files. Essentially what I want to do is to create an intro animation video in the beginning (much like a trailer, though mostly with text over an audio file), to which concludes in a DVD main menu type of slide. From there, I'd like to have links to other sections throughout for my audience to choose from to view. These links will be mostly text and pictures, but will have a .swf (talking animated character) file embedded in each section.

My question is, what Adobe application would best suit my needs? I've been trying to learn After Effects, and while it would be helpful for my intro video, is this the best choice, or should I go with Flash or Flash Catalyst or something else?

Thanks for any advice and insight.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Seeking advice on which application to use for multimedia presentation...
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 12:02:31 am

AE has no interactivity functionality. Flash is the way to go.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Seeking advice on which application to use for multimedia presentation...
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 7:02:46 am

However, AE does quite a few things that Flash can not do when it comes to animation and vfx. With CS5 you can animate in AE and then export to Flash. You will need to do quite a bit of reading though. As far as the interactivity goes, Joey is right, Flash will provide the tools for that.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Scott ShealyRe: Seeking advice on which application to use for multimedia presentation...
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 2:00:38 pm

Thanks, guys. That's what I thought. I think I'll try and do the intro video in AE and import that into Flash. Yes, I can tell I've got a lot of reading ahead of me, even for a couple of minute video! That's what led me to this site. I know what I want the end result to be in my mind, it's just the process of putting it together that looks to be time consuming.

I've searched a good bit on here, but are there any good tutorials that I might have missed on how to make a lightning strike animation?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]