ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects .mov looks terrible in FCP

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Strackbein
After Effects .mov looks terrible in FCP
on Feb 23, 2011 at 8:26:55 pm

I am editing footage (P2, DVCPRO HD 720p, 24PN) in Final Cut Pro. I wanted to add some basic animation graphics in the video. So I went into AfterEffects and created a comp with DVCPROHD settings to match the footage. I also tried 1280x720 (1.0 pixels). I tried several exports, .MOV with Animation codec, DCVPRO HD 720p60 codec, ProRes 422, uncompressed). Some of these look really amazing in the QuickTime player. However, when I bring them into my FCP sequence, they look terrible.

I plan on taking this sequence and sending to Compressor as the 90 Min DVD Best Settings preset. Then I will add as asset into Encore CS5 and burn an NTSC DVD.

I never post, but I just can't find anyone with the same problem. I actually have always been confused by the whole 960x720 footage exporting as 1280x720, but I tried both options as I stated above in case this was the issue. I need an expert in AE and FCP. If you're a real pro and do this often, please respond and help me.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
Re: After Effects .mov looks terrible in FCP
on Feb 24, 2011 at 12:16:28 am

Step 1. Create your AE comp by simply dragging the footage in the browser to the Create Comp icon. If your footage looks squeezed, it's fine. You can turn on pixel aspect correction in the comp window for reference purposes.

Step 2. Don't export your comp from AE, render it with Best Settings. Don't change the resolution or pixel aspect ratio. For the Output Module, I'd recommend ProRes 422(HQ), or ProRes 4444 for lower thirds, Straight Alpha.

Step 3. Ensure that your FCP comp settings match those of your footage, with the exception being your imported file from AE is ProRes, as opposed to DVCPRO.

Depending on your system specs, you may need to render the clips in your FCP sequence before you see them at full quality.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Christopher Strackbein
on Feb 24, 2011 at 6:43:50 pm

I followed these steps, but my video turns out completely solid white when I render as Straight Alpha.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Feb 24, 2011 at 7:07:37 pm

Sounds like you rendered only the Alpha.
Does your video actually require an alpha channel?
If so render RGB + Alpha, Millions of Colors +.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]