ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Steadycam Match moving

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guille IbanezSteadycam Match moving
by on Feb 23, 2011 at 9:48:04 am

Hi!

we recently shot a music video and the customer wants to add a few bits to it. I tried to look for an answer but couldn't find any!

We have a steadicam shot with the singer walking and singing to camera while on the move. We would like to add lyrics of the song to both sides of the character as if they were part of the set (an open space in the forest) so they become small as the character keeps on walking and new ones come up.
I know for sure that i have to do some kind of Match moving but would i have to use a 3D match moving software like Boujou? or could get away with Mocha and AFX? and if so, what's the process?

thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Steadycam Match moving
by on Feb 23, 2011 at 4:11:57 pm

You could TRY using Mocha, which comes bundled with AE 9 & 10, but I don't know if you'd get the 3D effect you seek. I would look at Syntheyes, which does matchmoving and can generate data for a 3D AE camera. I believe there's a trial version, so you can see if it will do the job.

Good luck rotoscoping the singer!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Steadycam Match moving
by on Feb 23, 2011 at 6:52:17 pm

I'd suggest you look into the Foundry's plugin for 3d camera tracking in After Effects. I haven't used it yet, but I've heard it's a good tracker and that it's easier to use with AE than SynthEyes.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Steadycam Match moving
by on Feb 23, 2011 at 7:11:13 pm

To add to the advice you've been given, I would say that if you have access to Boujou then you have a tool that will do the job really well. I have used that quite extensively and I'm really happy with it. If you want the text to be 3d you can use Invigorator Pro. In the latest version you can assign 3d objects/text to track 3d layers in AE- so you can set up layers in 3d space and then just assign 3d text in Invigorator to those layers.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Guille IbanezRe: Steadycam Match moving
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 9:53:20 am

thank you guys!

I think that I'm going to give Cameratracker a go. I think you can rent the program on a daily basis (had never seen something like that) and let you know how it works.

Dave- Yes, i'm dreading the moment that i have to start rotoscoping the singer. I was planning to do that within After FX, frame by frame? Any other super clever solution by saves me 1 week of my life?

cheers,

Guille

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Steadycam Match moving
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:19:13 am

Mocha is great for roto work that involves tracking too.
CS5 has RotoBrush - a great solution for quick masking, and that may be all you need. Do some reading and watch some tutorials first- it's a great tool but not very intuitive, so you need to know how it works before you start, otherwise you could get discouraged pretty quick and drop it before it reveals it's power.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Steadycam Match moving
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 2:10:15 pm

This page is full of tips, tricks, techniques, and tutorials for rotoscoping in After Effects: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS39e706a46ad531be1172e08...

This page will help get you to speed on the Rotobrush: http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/04/roto-brush-in-after-effects-cs.h...

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]