ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

1080i50 25fps PAL to 24fps for 3D model mapping

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Konstan
1080i50 25fps PAL to 24fps for 3D model mapping
on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:49:35 am

I have 1080i50 XDCAM PAL footage that needs to be edited into a series of sequences that will ultimately be projected or texture-mapped onto the face of a 3D object. The company handling the 3D modeling & animation is requesting Quicktimes running at 24fps.

My question is this: should the Quicktimes be exactly 24 fps for the sake of working in a 3D application or instead be 23.976? (The entire completed project with all elements will most likely be projected on a screen at 1920x1080 29.97). And what is the best way to accomplish this framerate conversion in AE CS5? (Or can I just tell AE to conform to 23.976 and render out in a different codec-- say, ProRes422)?

Thanks!

Mike Konstan
MAK Digital Media, Inc.
Orlando, Florida

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
Re: 1080i50 25fps PAL to 24fps for 3D model mapping
on Feb 22, 2011 at 1:17:24 pm

23.976 for video. But why would it be projected at 29.97?

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Feb 22, 2011 at 1:25:54 pm

Since you mention Prores, I assume you're on a Mac with Final Cut Studio.
In that case I would convert the frame rate in Compressor using Frame Controls, Best Settings. But you need to find out if the company doing the 3d has the same setup, otherwise they won't be able to use ProRes files.
The company needs to tell you what quicktime codecs they can work with.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Mike Konstan
on Feb 22, 2011 at 2:39:50 pm

Actually I had asked the animation company if I could send them final Quicktimes in ProRes but they supposedly can't work with them. When I mentioned ProRes in my post I was thinking of an intermediate codec I could use to cut with in Final Cut... I would give them a different codec for final output.

As for the footage, there is about 2 hours total so I want to make sure of a few things before I set off an incredibly long render. I was also experimenting with the Nattress Standards Conversion plugin in FCP which seemed to work fairly well. I know it can be done in AE as well, though I don't have Automatic Duck on this system so it will be more time consuming to send my clips out of FCP to AE to do the framerate conversion. Just considering my options. I have to get a few elements out to the animation company today so they have some assets to work with for the larger project-- I'm also going to call them to ask for more specifics...

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]