ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Dragan effect using Video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew GriffinDragan effect using Video
by on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:02:16 am

Hi, I've been scouring the interweb for a resource on how to recreate the *DRAGEN* effect using a female model moving to the camera, "http://weblog.evasee.com/wpcontent/uploads/2006/04/andrzej%20dragan.jpg" there are plenty of really useful tutorials and resources for 'Photography' recreation but zero info on how to transfer a similar effect to Video using after effects.

I'm using a video which was shot on green screen and has been keyed-out from it's black background using Luma and various other filters and I'm left with a transparent video of a female model, I'd be eternally grateful if anyone has any thoughts on how I can breath fresh life into this video and give it some depth and make it rock by enabling be to attempt the DRAGEN effect using my video.

Cheerios. Bryn.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Dragan effect using Video
by on Feb 22, 2011 at 12:18:44 pm

Sorry but your link doesn't seem to work.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Andrew GriffinRe: Dragan effect using Video
by on Feb 22, 2011 at 12:51:17 pm

Hey Joey, you can try these:

http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Dragan-effect/217906
http://andrzejdragan.com/

I just love the way the colors and highlights become so striking and create such a rich visual style.
Something similar is the styling for 300 and Sin City.

Hope you can view the links if only for the beauty of the work.

Cheers Bryn.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Dragan effect using Video
by on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:52:40 pm

How to get video that looks like that? Shoot on film and scan it in, or rent a Red camera with the best prime lenses and a professional lighting kit.

What you're seeing is richness in skin detail, and a very wide latitude (detail retention from shadows to highlights).

You're just not going to get those from a prosumer HD cam with a stock lens and set of "looks" plug-ins.

Don't mean to be presumptuous. Maybe those tools are within your reach. If so, that's the way to go.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Andrew GriffinRe: Dragan effect using Video
by on Feb 22, 2011 at 5:36:33 pm

Thanks for the prompt response. Long shot I know but worth a try, I'm already digging and delving into various color corrections using 3rd party resources and the results are better than I thought.

Thanks for your chain of thought.

Bryn.

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Dragan effect using Video
by on Feb 22, 2011 at 8:04:20 pm
Last Edited By Cory Petkovsek on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:37:46 am

It's also color graded. You need a great camera with high latitude, high resolution, a flexible recording codec (like red raw) and great lighting as Joey said. Then the colors are manipulated in post to produce the effect. 300 has a severely modified color palette and gamma curve which gives it that surreal look.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]