ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

RAM Preview Audio Not Playing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nolan BeguhlRAM Preview Audio Not Playing
by on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:09:55 pm

I feel like there's some sort of easy solution to this, but I cannot play my audio in RAM preview. I can play only the audio, but not the audio and video together. My audio is not MP3 format, it's AIFF, so I doubt that's the issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: RAM Preview Audio Not Playing
by on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:11:46 pm

in composition>preview make sure that audio is enabled (has a check next to it).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

John MitchellRe: RAM Preview Audio Not Playing - Solved!
by on Jun 16, 2011 at 8:44:21 am

Ok - sorry to re-hash an old thread but this may come in handy for a lot of people as it seems to be a common complaint :)

I ran into this problem today - I had a pre-comp which was playing audio correctly and then in the master comp the audio was muted. The layer audio was definitely turned on and no keyframes applied. WT...?
The clue was the audio would play if I solo'd the layer. So I started turning other layers off until I found the culprit!

Because I was using the same pre-comp in a number of different cuts in the main timeline it turns out the if ANY instance of that pre-comp has a time re-map effect on it and appears in the comp and that time re-map effect includes a freeze (mine did - I haven't tested but i suspect any time-remap will have the same effect) then all the audio for any layer with that pre-comp gets muted. The solution is simple - turn of thaudio for the layer with the time re-map effect on it (after all it appears you can't use time-remapped audio in AE anyway:)

I'm not sure if this is documented anywhere but i couldn't see it in the help file - really audio should only be muted for the time remapped layer (so it is a bit of a bug) but there you go - problem solved!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: RAM Preview Audio Not Playing
by on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:15:09 pm

The most likely software-related explanation: you're still on AE 10.0.
You may not have updated AE to the most recent version, AE 10.0.1 (or higher). This update fixed a lot of weird things, including the inability to use AIFF Files (!).

AE's always been able to play nice with AIFF's. Who woulda thunk it?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved