ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Are there any plugins that can do a "writing" text effect automatically?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Ghast
Are there any plugins that can do a "writing" text effect automatically?
on Feb 21, 2011 at 2:26:22 am

I know it can be done with 'stroke' and bezier curves manually, but i have alot of text to do.

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
Re: Are there any plugins that can do a "writing" text effect automatically?
on Feb 21, 2011 at 6:06:09 am

What is a writing text effect? Load up bridge from your effects panel and browse through the text animation presets.
Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 21, 2011 at 3:46:28 pm

[Cory Petkovsek] "What is a writing text effect?"

I think the OP is referring either to animating cursive or printed handwriting. In either case, there's a reason you don't see a lot of it -- there's nothing I can think of that can do it automatically, making it a bear to do.

I've animated signatures before, but I wouldn't want to tackle something like the Declaration of Independence. Not even the Gettysburg Address, which is much shorter.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Feb 21, 2011 at 3:59:45 pm

I once had to do not one, but multiple projects with animated "written" text that was to appear as it was written on a blackboard. My solution was to animate each letter of the alphabet and the numbers 0-9. Once that was finished I just dragged an dropped them into my final composition, one letter or number at a time.

Was pretty time-consuming, but faster than if I had attempted animating each repeated letter. So that's one route you could try.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Feb 21, 2011 at 6:04:01 pm

You could find a good cursive/handwritten font to make your text, precompose that, and in the Layer window use the Eraser tool set to Write On to erase the text backwards from the end of the sentence. Then Time-Reverse the keyframes.

It's quite tricky and requires many practice runs - and much easier with a tablet.

You also have to tweak the resultant keyframes to get the playback timing right.

By no means an easy solution, but maybe worth a shot.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

David Ghast
on Feb 22, 2011 at 2:09:55 am

Thats a new one. I tried "converting text to keyframes", but it didnt work since it outlined the text. Also looked at the roto-brush tool, hoping that i could just write over the text, but it didnt seem to work that way. Ill basically have to make a bezier alphabet and just copy it over one letter at a time. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Robert Headrick
on Apr 9, 2013 at 4:44:58 pm

Here's another option. This one has the pro of being very easy, but possibly the con of not giving you quite the look you might want. I've used it before though, and it's a nice look.

Select text layer and choose Layer --> Create Masks from Text
On the new Solid that gets created, choose Effect --> Generate --> Stroke
Make sure "All Masks" is checked (by default it's not)
Change "Paint Style" to "Reveal Original Image"
Starting from 0, increase "Brush Size" slowly until your text looks normal again
Animate "End" from 0 to 100% to make the text draw on
Unchecking "Stroke Sequentially" will change the look so that all the letters draw on at the same time instead of one-by-one

Return to posts index

Ben Mullins
on Nov 20, 2013 at 11:00:00 am

Robert -

This has just saved me an absolute mass of time! Looks just as good as the Write On effect in my opinion (although I suppose it depends on what you're doing exactly). Thank you!

Return to posts index

Yisroel Glick
on Aug 23, 2016 at 4:35:56 pm

Thank you for that, it is a lifesaver. But now I'm stuck. I am just begining to dabble in AE for the first time, and when I tried the stroke --> reveal original with a mask - created from text yesterday it worked perfectly, but now that I am trying it again it seems to be removing the text and just leaving an outline rather than revealing it, and I have no idea what I am doing wrong :/
I am following the instructions to a tee.
Any ideas what it might be?

Return to posts index

Isa de Veth
on Dec 6, 2016 at 11:19:58 am

Hi,

I followed your steps, which were very usefull!
I got one problem: my letters won't keep their original color and I cant seem to change them back. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Laurence Yates
on Feb 23, 2014 at 10:08:42 pm

Perhaps too late for the OP, but there is a plugin for this at aescripts called QuickDraw.

I have posted a reply to the following thread with the details: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1024499 or you can go straight to the plugin here: http://aescripts.com/quickdraw

Laurence Yates
Motion Graphics Artist and Illustrator
Creator of QuickDraw - http://aescripts.com/quickdraw/
http://www.notbyhalf.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]