ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating a Pseudo 3D Reveal

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike ZunigaCreating a Pseudo 3D Reveal
by on Feb 20, 2011 at 10:04:33 am

I consider myself fairly adequate with AE, but this is seriously throwing me for a loop.

Basically, I'm trying to create a reveal of my university's logo for use at the end of videos that the college produces. It would start with this slate:

And here is the logo (I'm using an .Ai file imported into AE):

Using some sort of masking technique, while simultaneously making the logo come forward slightly, it would give the illusion that the gorilla is pushing through the background slate in 3D and end like this:

By "3D" I mean that from a gestalt perspective, the gorilla would appear to moved underneath an overhead light, revealing him. Does that make sense?

I know that there has to be some sort of a way to do this, but I'm at a loss as to what. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Creating a Pseudo 3D Reveal
by on Feb 20, 2011 at 8:09:38 pm

You can use Free Form to create a 3d displacement that will appear quite nice under a light. Here's an example of how that can look:

The problem with your piece is that you need it to look stylized and that means animating shapes over the 3d displacement to get that clean look.

Here's a tutorial that deals with 3d displacement techniques using Free Form.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Creating a Pseudo 3D Reveal
by on Feb 20, 2011 at 11:33:36 pm

Whenever I see 'pseudo' '3d' and 'ae' in the same post I default to suggesting Distort > Displacement Map.

You should be able to use a couple gradients in one or more channels to displace your original 2 tone image into the final shape. This technique may take some fiddling to get it just right.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved