ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS5 - How is this better?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Marshall
AE CS5 - How is this better?
on Feb 19, 2011 at 2:54:58 am

Hi:

In older versions of AE, if I modified a preset in the Output Module it would say something like "Based on Lossless," so if I, say, enabled audio on the Lossless preset I could clearly tell that I was compressing the video with the Animation codec. This made it easy to tell what's what in the Render Queue.

Now if I do the same thing in CS5, it says "Custom: Quicktime." How is that better? Now I have to click on the setting or twirl it down to see what it is. I don't want to make a preset for every single compression permutation. These stupid tweaks are why I'm almost always running one version behind the current version of AE.

Why does invoking the graph editor (which I hate) count as an undo?

I sent this to the Adobe Feature Request site, but thought I'd share here, too.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: AE CS5 - How is this better?
on Feb 19, 2011 at 7:01:21 am

You can create and name your own presets so you know precisely what they are. From the Edit menu choose Templates > Output Module and select the options for your output.

See: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Return to posts index

Shawn Marshall
on Feb 19, 2011 at 9:37:12 am

Thanks for the reply.

As I said in my initial post, I don't want to create a template for every conceivable permutation of video and audio codec. I've made ten or so of the ones I use the most, but for those times when I modify those presets I've created in the Output Module I'd rather have a better indication of what it is rather than a generic "Custom: Quicktime."

My whole gripe is that having the Output module say "Based on Photo JPEG sRGB" or "Based on ProRes4444 16 bit Auto Gamma" worked great in CS4 and earlier. Why change it?

In one render I might have one Output Module preset with an Avid DNxHD codec for the client final, one with a ProRes codec for myself, and one with the Photo JPEG codec at medium quality that I can upload. In CS5, if I modify any of those in the Output Module I get the generic description, and it's harder to tell which is which. I'm losing efficiency for no apparent reason.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Eliezer Cisner
on Dec 28, 2011 at 7:14:08 pm

In regards the undo in the Graph Editor, yeah, it makes me sick, it just does not make sense to me why changing a view gets its own "undo"! This really needs to get changed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]