ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

blown out field renders

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kurt murphy
blown out field renders
on Feb 18, 2011 at 10:21:23 pm

I've got a weird one here... When I render out some shot edited footage, a couple scenes are blown out - the whites are really hot, but it's fine on my monitor (best & full, and with RAM previews). When I render it with fields OFF the video is fine... I'm stumped. Anybody else ever experience this?

thanks,

kurt

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: blown out field renders
on Feb 18, 2011 at 10:28:24 pm

Kurt Murphy from Buffalo?

It could be a function of the codec of the footage combined with your version of AE. If it's not AE 10 fully updated (10.0.19, I think), The following may apply:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

kurt murphy
on Feb 19, 2011 at 1:58:10 am

<>

Yep, hello Dave!

<>

It's H.264, but it's ALL H.264... and WITHIN the footage are 2 edits that are blown out - and ONLY when I field render. We experimented and it doesn't do it on a frames... That's why it has us stumped.....

thanks,

kurt

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 19, 2011 at 11:14:58 pm

Well, if you're not running AE 10, H.264 footage will be painful to work with, I'm afraid. Long-gop footage like that makes AE behave erratically.

There could be another cause of this off-the-wall behavior. You know about the admonition to avoid rendering with Open GL acceleration, right?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]