ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS5 Render issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy AllenCS5 Render issues
by on Feb 18, 2011 at 12:25:08 am

When I render, After Effects takes approximately 4-5 minutes to "initalize background processes". I'm just wondering if this is pretty normal or if I can do anything to speed this up. Also, when the render gets to the final frame, it will stall again for another 4-5 minutes before finishing the render. Essentially, a 2 minute render becomes a 9-10 minute render. Its been a while, but I don't remember CS3 taking this long..

I have an 8 core Mac with 2 CPUs reserved for other applications. I currently have 10gigs of ram with 3 gigs reserved for other applications. And I'm on the default .75 GB of RAM allocated per background CPU. I also have Open GL turned off.

What settings can I tweak to speed up my renders? It seems like its mostly related to using multiple processors. Should I just turn that off for smaller renders?

Thanks for any advice..

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.8

C4D 11.5
AE CS5
FCP 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: CS5 Render issues
by on Feb 18, 2011 at 1:30:34 am

Have you installed the After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update? That update fixed some performance issues with Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: CS5 Render issues
by on Feb 19, 2011 at 3:08:53 am

What are you rendering?
Does it do this with some shapes and solids?
Are you using the render queue (good)? Or are you using AME (bad)?

I've not had any such problem rendering through AE. Now Premiere and AME is another story...

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Jeremy AllenRe: CS5 Render issues
by on Feb 19, 2011 at 11:50:45 pm

Thanks for the replies..

Todd: I had not installed the update, but the problem remains after I did install it per your suggestion.

If I turn off the multi-cpu rendering, everything works just fine. With multi-cpu's rendering, it still does exactly what I described before.

As a test, I rendered a really simple comp with some particles. It literally took 6 seconds without multi-cpu, and about 9 minutes with multi-cpu on.

I also noticed sometimes I get a "unable to connect to background processes" when doing a ram preview. I hit "0" on the numberpad and AE renders the preview but it never plays and I see that message in the Ram preview controls area. If I hit "0" again it will play the rendered frames as normal. Really strange.

Cory: For this project I'm rendering mostly AE generated graphics and effects. Some light particles but nothing too complicated really..

C4D 11.5
AE CS5
FCP 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Jeremy AllenRe: CS5 Render issues
by on Feb 19, 2011 at 11:51:48 pm

Oh and also, yes, I'm using the render queue.

Thanks again for your time and advice!

C4D 11.5
AE CS5
FCP 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: CS5 Render issues
by on Feb 21, 2011 at 6:02:41 am

What about rendering to a different codec? Like a non-quicktime codec. What if you play with the memory settings, or use the options in the secret menu (hold shift when going into general preferences and you'll see 'secret' on the left)? What about being able to use multiprocessing in other non-adobe applications? What about within other adobe applications, like premier and using AME, rendering to the same codec you are using now. Basically logically testing other components on your system to determine the culprit.
Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

dustin farrellRe: CS5 Render issues
by on Aug 14, 2011 at 4:06:22 am

I am having the EXACT same issue as you Cory. No fix found huh?

Turning off render multiple frames fixes everything. Not ideal though.

Windows 7 Ultimate
24gb ram
Intel i7 950

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]