ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d light rays without shine

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Geiger
3d light rays without shine
on Feb 17, 2011 at 6:41:36 pm

Hey guys -
I searched the forum and was surprised that I didn't find the answer, but it their away to use one of the light rays effects like cc light rays to create 3d, camera interacting light streaks. I imagine the solution might be expression heavy, but I'm curious how this can be done.

Does anyone know how this might be accomplished.

thanks
Matt

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
Re: 3d light rays without shine
on Feb 17, 2011 at 8:54:45 pm
Last Edited By Cory Petkovsek on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:25:04 am

Plugins are created that fulfill a need that doesn't already exist, otherwise there would be no market. However you could probably get a similar effect by duplicating the layer, and on the lower layer applying glow, then a zoom blur, or motion blur (moving toward the camera).

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 18, 2011 at 4:46:57 pm

What are you not getting from CC Light Burst or CC Light Rays that Shine offers?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 18, 2011 at 6:47:21 pm

[Matthew Geiger] "I searched the forum and was surprised that I didn't find the answer, but it their away to use one of the light rays effects like cc light rays to create 3d, camera interacting light streaks."

When I hear "3D, camera-interacting light streaks," I think of Particular (or maybe 3D Stroke), not Shine.

Can you post a visual reference to the effect you're trying to achieve?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Feb 19, 2011 at 4:28:27 am

Any radial blur that offers a 'zoom' mode should work well as a base for the 'Shine' effect.

You can use the Blur > Radial Blur effect, but I like to use Blur > CC Radial Blur because it renders much faster.

The easiest way I've found to have this effect react to AE camera movement is to select the 3D layer you want to 'shine' and pre-compose it choosing "Leave All Attributes..." This is so that the 3D transform data of the layer stays in the 'parent' composition.

You should then cut (cmd-x) any effects from the layer in the parent comp, go into the pre-comp and paste them to the layer inside. So you have effectively moved all effect attributes while leaving all transform attributes. While you're still inside the pre-comp, set the layer switches as they were in the parent comp as well (turn 3D layer on, motion blur and any other switches that were on as well).

Now go back to the parent comp and enable the "Collapse Transformations" switch on the pre-comp layer (it's the one that looks like a little sun).

Create a 3D null object that will serve as the source point of the volumetric lighting effect.

Add the CC Radial Blur effect to the pre-comp, and apply this expression to it's Center property:

l = thisComp.layer("Blur_Center");
l.toComp(l.anchorPoint);

Blur_Center was the name of my 3D null, but you should link to your 3D null.

Now increase the blur amount and it should all work. You can move your null object around to change the light source, and the shine effect will respond to any AE camera movements in your parent composition.

Let me know if you need any clarification!

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]