ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE self-link files not stopping/quitting...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig WallAE self-link files not stopping/quitting...
by on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:04:08 am

I've recently started having horrible problems with After Effects. Just now I found what might prove to be a telling clue.

I noticed that even after I quit AE that many of my processors were still churning away. When I looked at the Activity Monitor I saw that 2 instances of aeselflink were still running and were in fact churning away like crazy...despite the fact that I had already quit After Effects!

So clearly After Effects is having a problem releasing and quitting all it's processes. (It also seems to have a problem securing or engaging those processes with long delays)

I have 24 gigs of RAM on an 8 core (16 thread) Mac Pro. My preferences are set to employ 10 of the 16 threads in AE, with the others reserved for the system and other apps. I am reserving 5 GB for "other applications."

Anyone with similar problem? Anyone with suggestions?

Life is full of funny particles.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE self-link files not stopping/quitting...
by on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:56:05 pm

[Craig Wall] "Anyone with suggestions?"

Based on what you've written, just one: if you haven't gotten the update to AE 10.0.1 (or higher), you really should. It fixes a lot of AE weirdness.

I believe you'll find a Help>Updates menu selection in AE, making it really easy to download.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: AE self-link files not stopping/quitting...
by on Feb 17, 2011 at 7:25:44 pm

also, personally, i've only seen this happen when ae crashes... it seems that upon a normal quit, ae will cancel the aeselflinks, but if it 'unexpectedly quits' those processes can remain on.

i usually just use the activity monitor to quit or force quit those processes, then restart ae. if i encounter another crash, or notice another similar issue in the activity monitor, i'll reboot the system.

however, i really don't see this issue often, particularly with later versions of ae (cs4-5), so if you are seeing this frequently, then there may be another problem causing this.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Craig WallRe: AE self-link files not stopping/quitting...
by on Feb 17, 2011 at 10:14:45 pm

Thanks guys...Yes I installed the 10.0.1 patch right when it came out, so we can rule that out.

I had a better day yesterday when I changed my configuration to only use half of my cores/threads and increased the allocation to 2 Gigs per "CPU".

However I still got a "Crash" when I quit the app...something that happens about half the time it seems.

Does Adobe still have a problem if you have Script UI panels open on quit? (I thought that was fixed)

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2011 at 10:31:18 pm

i don't have a problem with script ui panels in cs4, but i'm not using any in cs5.... you could try removing those scripts to see if that helps at all. if so file a bug report with adobe...

you might also try resetting ae's pref file by holding Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) while the application is starting. then try todd's recommended memory settings for cs5:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/10/please-try-recommended-memory-se...

and re-enabling mp with 8 cores or so for other apps.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2011 at 10:40:58 pm

Yes, Kevin. Yesterday I performed the 'ole trash prefs step. No benefit. I did see some improvement when I released half of my cores for other apps...and raised the allocation per cpu.

Dave...as I indicated in a post above...yes I reduced the cpu/thread usage from 16 to 8...and as I was just saying...that did seem to help

Too early to say how much things have improved.

I really REALLY appreciate all your suggestions very much!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE self-link files not stopping/quitting...
by on Feb 17, 2011 at 10:33:51 pm

This may fall into the "what's the sense behind doing THAT?" category, but have you tried reducing the number of threads to something like 8?

Adobe has some recommended cores/threads/memory settings here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/10/please-try-recommended-memory-se...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2011 at 2:51:28 am

I thought I'd post a follow-up in case others are struggling and looking for solutions.

I have 24 GIGs of RAM and am currently only working at 640x360 web resolution. So I figured that 1 gig per CPU and 4 GIGS for other apps was plenty.

Perhaps I was wrong in my assumptions!

I've found that my system has run much better (so far) by doing the following:
-Only using 8 of my 16 threads/CPUs (2009 Mac Pro with 8 core/16 threads)
-Setting an allocation of 2 GB per CPU
-Leaving 5 Gigs of RAM for other application

I have an additional 8 GIGS on order--bringing me up to 32. Hopefully I can use at least 12 of my 16 threads and stay rock solid.

I also am hopeful that Adobe will continue to improve their 64 bit architecture...providing better stability and also permitting a more reasonable RAM allocation per CPU. With the proliferation of multiprocessors (24 threads now...more in the next MacPro) it will be increasingly unreasonable to allocate so much RAM for each thread.

It wasn't but a few years ago when the program only had 2GB available for everything, so I can't understand the need for 2-3 GB per CPU for rendering.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 21, 2011 at 5:12:33 pm

[Craig Wall] "I've found that my system has run much better (so far) by doing the following:
-Only using 8 of my 16 threads/CPUs (2009 Mac Pro with 8 core/16 threads)
-Setting an allocation of 2 GB per CPU
-Leaving 5 Gigs of RAM for other application"

that's pretty similar to the settings that seem to work well for me too.

as far as decreasing ram requirements for rendering, it would be great if they could do that, but i see how they are up against a wall to some degree...

i don't know all the ins and outs of how a frame gets rendered, but my basic understanding of what is happening is, as frame sizes get bigger, you need more ram to hold that frame (an uncompressed 1080 frame in 16bit is about 12mb), each active process needs to have that frame in ram, each also has an active cache of rendered frames that same size (if that's just 1 second then 30x12=360mb). plus how many comp-sized layers do you have in a render--those have similar ram considerations, that's why often just trimming layers' in-out points to be only when they are visible in a comp can greatly effect performance. even throwing out inactive layers will decrease ram requirements for a comp (it seems to load those even if they are inactive).

anyway it all adds up pretty quickly. if you really wanted to go back to the pre-multiprocessing days, you can disable it, and have more ram to work with... many effects and other render functions in ae are independently multi-threaded, so they will use multiple cores to render a single frame, though i'm not sure how efficiently it would handle coordination of 24 cores for a single frame...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Feb 22, 2011 at 1:39:32 am

Kevin,

I can understand if I was feeding After Effects HD footage and it was choking because of a low RAM-per-CPU allocation of a Gig or less.

But I was having massive problems while exclusively working with a web resolution of only 640x360....lower than NTSC. Even when I bumped it up to 1.5 Gigs per cpu I has having problems, despite the low res files.

I'm glad I can get AE to work well with these settings, but I'd sure like to be able to use all the CPUs/Threads that I have purchased. I'm happy being patient with Adobe for this version, since it was their first foray into 64 bit. But I'll be very unhappy if they don't improve it in the next full release.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 23, 2011 at 8:49:45 am

5 days later...

All hell broke loose again today...where AE was crapping out in all kinds of ways...and I again saw AEselflink files that wouldn't quit. I was again seeing corrupt renders or situations where AE simply refused to perform a simple timeline preview.

Finally I got back on solid ground...but only after trashing my prefs and resetting my memory config--yet still more conservative this time.

Return to posts index

Greg NeumayerRe: AE self-link files not stopping/quitting...
by on Oct 25, 2011 at 5:43:05 pm

Just to document:
I also ran into two instances of aeselflink as well as the adobeDynamicLinking processes still running. It looks like they've been eating CPU for weeks. I discovered it when trying to uninstall AE CS5. Wish I had seen that sooner! Lots of red bars in the CPU history!

I'm installing the CS5.5 Prod. Premium---and I've learned not to mix stand-alone versions with the Premium packages.

(running 3 yr old mac pro 8 core with about 14GB ram)

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]