ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How Much to Charge For Kinetic Typography?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James DunneHow Much to Charge For Kinetic Typography?
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 11:48:45 pm

Hi,

this is a well known question but how much do i charge to make a video for a client??

i made a kinetic typography video for a website that i blog at and another website saw it and has asked me how much do i charge to make a promo video?
this will be my first time getting paid for a video so i havent a clue what to charge?

the video will be kinetic typography, around 30 seconds, ill have to make a script, get music and get someone to do a voiceover for it.

any idea on how much to charge?

thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Jason ByfieldRe: How Much to Charge For Kinetic Typography?
by on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:16:16 am

The dreaded "How much" question...

Try contacting a couple of different production houses and see what they would quote you for a similar project to get a rough idea of professional costs. Remember that they are going to be able to charge quite a bit more because this won't be their first project, unlike your situation.

Really it just boils down to being honest with yourself. How much do you think you're worth an hour? Now estimate the number of hours you think it will take and multiply it by your estimated hourly rate. Bingo: a roughly estimated total charge for the project. They're probably going to think it's too high so you'll need to be flexible if you want to keep them as clients. Charge too little and they'll keep coming back for more but won't want to pay higher rates. Charge too much and you'll lose them as clients.

Return to posts index

James DunneRe: How Much to Charge For Kinetic Typography?
by on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:29:12 am

lol it is dreaded allright.

asking a production company is a good idea but wouldnt that take a while? id like to give the client a quote asap,
well if i went by hours it would take me quite sometime (not very experienced in kinetic typography yet) and just say i said $20 an hour it would add up to be overpriced, can i ask you this if you were me how much would you charge, roughly speaking?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:30:14 am

and thanks for the comment too by the way, lol

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: How Much to Charge For Kinetic Typography?
by on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:28:33 am

[James Dunne] "any idea on how much to charge?"

There's a ton of good reading on this subject on the Business & Marketing forum [link]. Just search on price, pricing, how much to charge, etc.

Here's a summary of most of the advice you'll find:

Before you know what to charge for producing an animation, you'll have to know what it will cost you to produce and how much time it will take.

If you're relatively inexperienced at estimating the costs for stock, music, voiceover, etc., you should get estimates where you can and aim high where you can't.

Figure out your hourly rate. What are your total annual living expenses? Divide that by 50 weeks, then divide again by the number of hours you can reasonably expect to bill in a week (hint: this is probably going to be way less than 40). If we assume your living expenses are $50,000, that's $1,000 a week, and if you work 20 billable hours in a week, that's $50/hr.

Now that you've got your hard costs and hourly labor cost figured out, add your margin. This is where your business pays its overhead (that computer you're running AE is expensive and will need to be replaced in a couple years) and makes its profit.

Whatever you do -- don't just pick a number. Don't base your rates exclusively on other people's; after all, you don't know what their costs are or how much (if any) profit they are making. If you want to be serious about earning a living at this, you need to do your homework, understand all your costs, plan to cover them, and earn enough money above that to earn some profit and fund your growth.

Finally, you might check out the Motion Graphic Design Census [link to PDF]. It contains a lot of information about hourly rates for motion graphic designers. Again, I think it'd be a mistake to look here to set your rate, but finding out where your rate would fall in the distribution might help you market yourself.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:42:40 am

wow, thats was a really usefull comment thanks alot for that info, i will def be talking all that in for the future. (ill have the read it a few times again tho,lol)

anyway if your a student and you dont make an annual salary, its hard to come up with an acceptable quote for a clent?

but lets just forget about for a sec, how much roughly would one charge for a video like this? just to get an idea?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:54:38 am

wow, thats was a really usefull comment thanks alot for that info, i will def be talking all that in for the future. (ill have the read it a few times again tho,lol)

anyway if your a student and you dont make an annual salary, its hard to come up with an acceptable quote for a clent?

but lets just forget about for a sec, how much roughly would one cost for a video like this? if i told you i would charge you $400-500 for a promo video what would your response be?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: How Much to Charge For Kinetic Typography?
by on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:35:14 pm

[James Dunne] "anyway if your a student and you dont make an annual salary, its hard to come up with an acceptable quote for a clent?"

Same way as anybody else. I'm not asking you to consider your salary -- I'm asking you to consider your living expenses (which you certainly have now, and which you will have once you graduate), and create a target salary for yourself that will cover them plus a little for savings.

[James Dunne] "how much roughly would one cost for a video like this?"

Like what? All we know is that you want to produce a 30-second kinetic type promo with music and voiceover.

Your question is a bit like asking, "How long is a piece of string?" Of course, the answer depends on what piece of string you're asking about.

I could bang out a 30-second kinetic type piece in a half a day, or I could spend a week on it. The results would be different, the value would be different, and the price would be different.

[James Dunne] "if i told you i would charge you $400-500 for a promo video what would your response be?"

Personally, I would toss out your proposal -- and I'd be doing you a favor. Your proposed fee will cover your voiceover talent, without much (if anything) left over for you.

That said, I'm not your client. Once you know how much you need to make (see above and in my previous post), you should develop a rough idea of what your client is willing to pay, and you can adjust the amount of work you put into the project accordingly.

If you're looking to do this at a low, low cost, you need to keep your expenses and time commitment low. Try to get approvals as you go to minimize the amount of work you re-do. Don't start the animation until the client has signed off on the script. After that, don't start the animation until the client has signed off on a storyboard or at least some concept shots. If you and the client are not on the same page, you want to find out immediately before you sink hours and hours of work into it.

Seriously, read through the Business & Marketing forum. Read every thread you can find on pricing and freelancing. There's a ton of really valuable information in there.

Good luck with your project, and good luck with the start of your freelance career!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2011 at 4:56:14 pm

hi,
sorry i should have been more clear and show you this, this is the video i made that the client saw and asked me to make one similar for him:

Could you put price on this video? all im looking for is a figure that i can use as a guideline? please

and thanks

Return to posts index

by on Feb 17, 2011 at 4:58:16 pm

oh and please watch the video in HD, thanks

Return to posts index

Mary SomervilleRe: How Much to Charge For Kinetic Typography?
by on Jun 25, 2014 at 9:54:14 pm

You have really given a lot of great information to those of us just beginning our career in Visual Communication. Thank you!

It starts today

Return to posts index

Hans InglishRe: How Much to Charge For Kinetic Typography?
by on Jan 4, 2013 at 6:20:04 pm

A great example is this video I just had done. It features chromatic adoration effects and took about 3 weeks to make. I definitely think that you need to be confident with your skills and how many hours it would take you to create a project. Might need to do a few at a lower cost before you get the feel of what's fair and profitable for you.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dyKWaeh3Fsc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

Return to posts index

Jim KehoeRe: How Much to Charge For Kinetic Typography?
by on Feb 16, 2014 at 11:43:04 pm

How much did you charge for that video? looks amazing!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]