ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d camera cuts objects out

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steffan kasler3d camera cuts objects out
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 4:04:52 pm

Hello friends,
it is difficult to describe in english, so please also look at the attached images.
I have to let a rocket fly through a scene and i habe a 3d rocket model(from 3ds max to photoshop to after effects) and this rocket realy bevaes strange, but only through the camera view in the middle of the camera view everything is fine, but on the parts near the border the 3d object gets cut up. i want the rocket to come from the sky, so at first it should be very far away, and there is the probglem the farer away i putt the rocket the stronger this cut up effect gets, i tried everything,(played with composition size, the size of the psd document, even the original size of the object in 3ds max. i also tried different camera settings but nothig worked.
the first two pictures show the problem. and the third shows the same object, but scaled up. i thought the problem could be because the object leaves the cameras angle but it wasnt its just about the size. on the other hand if i make the same perspective, same size in the middle of the cameras angle, there is no problem.
Please help me ! please

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3d camera cuts objects out
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 5:23:14 pm

I see that you have 2D nulls between the rocket and the background. This may be the problem. I recommend moving them above the camera or below the background layer in the timeline.

You may also want to turn the background into a 3D layer, if it's possible.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: 3d camera cuts objects out
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 5:29:36 pm

it looks like your backplate shot is also a 3d layer, and as the 3d photoshop object moves though 3d space, it is moving through the backplate.

look at the z positions of the backplate and the 3d psd layer as you see this behavior and see if the z-pos values are the same (or nearly the same).

two easy ways to fix this: 1, don't make the backplate 3d; or 2, add an adjustment layer between the 3d psd layer and the backplate. this usually forces ae 3d layers to use layer order rather than 3d space for order (ie, the top most layer will always look like it is in front of lower layers).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

steffan kaslerRe: 3d camera cuts objects out
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 10:13:21 pm

thank you very mouch for your replys,
i tried your recomendations, but i didnt work.
the nulls where above and below, the background was 3d but there was no change

i also looked at the z values and the are very different. also in the top right/left viewers a can see the object beeing between the camera and the background

i also tried using an adjustment layer but that didnt work either.also tried using 3d and not 3d background

i could however make a difference by choosing another camera (200mm) now the larger the better, but it only makes the behaviour smaller, not gone away.

i uploaded a video wich shows how the problem seems to cut the object open from behind eventhoug it moves away. its so strange.
http://reels.creativecow.net/film/after-effects-3d-fault
thanks anyway

Return to posts index

steffan kaslerRe: 3d camera cuts objects out
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 11:44:22 pm

here is the video
http://reels.creativecow.net/film/after-effects-3d-fault

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: 3d camera cuts objects out
by on Feb 17, 2011 at 9:50:23 pm

it looks like only part of the model (the tail fins) are being lost, and the edges look jaggy...

do you have the layer in ae set to high quality and do you also have the 3d render options set to raytraced (highest quality) in photoshop?

those settings may be effecting how accurately the fins are being rendered.

however, it could also be that you are finding that ae is really not the best place to do 3d rendering. you may be better off rendering the 3d in studio max (or other 3d rendering app) with a matte or alpha channel, then compositing in ae.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Philip HogarthRe: 3d camera cuts objects out
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 2:35:18 pm

Hi, I have had a similar problem as you where having but in my case a barrel was cutting down in size when moving the camera left or right. I opened a .3ds file in photoshop and then saved as a psd to get my 3d object into AE. When I finally realised the imported image size was different than my composition size in After Effects, I altered them to match and hey presto, that did it, ... well, I am doing it again properly now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]