ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

External HD for AFX

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew RissExternal HD for AFX
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 4:23:50 pm

I tried looking the answer to this question but couldnt find it. I am scheduled to work on site as an AFX artist.

I was wondering if it is worth bringing my new external 2t RAID drive or just a normal FW drive?
Are there advantages to working from a RAID in AFX?

Or does AFX rely mostly on the processor and RAM?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: External HD for AFX
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 4:32:30 pm

Processors & RAM are the big items in AE speed.

The main thing an external drive brings to the party is concurrent reading & writing with the internal drives, which gives you a minor boost in speed, and a lot less work for the internal drives. A FW 800 drive would be just fine, and a FW 400 would not be bad, either. But that RAID? You'll have the advantages of a good deal more storage, not any extra speed to speak of.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: External HD for AFX
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 4:49:50 pm

[Andrew Riss] "Or does AFX rely mostly on the processor and RAM?"

Totally depends on your project and workflow. For most people working with little footage and lots of effects, AE is bound by the processor and RAM, and the speed of the disk has little impact.

However, if you're working with many multiple footage items in a single comp, or if you like to pre-render or proxy to image sequences to speed up your workflow, your project could quickly become disk-bound. If that's the case, the RAID could speed things up.

I recommend a monitoring tool like MenuMeters [link] to let you see how your system is performing during a render. You could also just watch Activity Monitor on a Mac or Task Manager on Windows. If you see a lot of disk activity but not a lot of memory or CPU activity, then your render is probably disk-bound.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved