ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Another AE V Motion question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon FidlerAnother AE V Motion question
by on Feb 14, 2011 at 10:11:15 pm

Hi

I know this has been asked a few times before but all the answer seem to refer to older versions. I want to get involved with motion graphics and compositing and stuff as I already edit and colout correct with FCP and already own motion.

What I want to know isnt neccesarilly which is superior, but is there any areas or things which Motion cannot do which AE can? Is it worth me spending out for AE or is it safe for me just to buy a few motion books and get learning?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Another AE V Motion question
by on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:12:10 pm

[Jon Fidler] " Is it worth me spending out for AE or is it safe for me just to buy a few motion books and get learning?"

That's difficult to say. Do you intend to do a lot of motion graphics and compositing for a living, or is this more of a hobbyist kind of thing?

AE and Motion are roughly comparable in terms of most abilities (I don't think Motion can do Flash), but the user base is very different.

AE is the industry standard, used by people around the globe, with an absolutely HUGE user base and support base. Motion is... well, it's only used by Final Cut Suite users, and not even big number of them: AE kinda rules there, too.

If you have no intentions of going any further than where you currently are in the Motion graphics business, I say stick with Motion -- it's just fine. It works. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. If you have any other intentions, you'll want to know AE, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jon FidlerRe: Another AE V Motion question
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 9:46:42 am

Hi Dave

Ive just started out as a FCP editor and have done a few promo pieces (NHS, National trust) and corporates where I jut added basic text captions etc. I edited and graded these but I did not do any of the motion graphics for any of this. I just passed them back to the clients and they passed them onto whoever dealt with that side of things. I do know they used motion though.

I also know how to use of the 2D motion graphic capabilities, filters and composite tools in FCP too, so this isnt an area which is totally alien to me.

To be honest id much rather continue my career in editing/grading im not particularly interested in the area, but I realise that I do need a certain depth of skill and understanding of motion graphics to progress in the industry. I really want to know this from an editors perspective just so I dont go off track as well.

With that in mind what do you think the best course of action would be?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Another AE V Motion question
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 2:50:46 pm

[Jon Fidler] "I've just started out as a FCP editor... To be honest id much rather continue my career in editing/grading im not particularly interested in the area, but I realise that I do need a certain depth of skill and understanding of motion graphics to progress in the industry. I really want to know this from an editors perspective just so I dont go off track as well. With that in mind what do you think the best course of action would be?"

Editors are expected to wear many hats now, and I think you're right that you'll need some familiarity with motion graphics in order to sell yourself.

As a sweeping generalization, I think that Motion is fast and After Effects is flexible. You can start with Motion now (you'll get good results quickly), but After Effects is the industry standard for serious motion graphics work for a reason. If you're interested in learning more about AE, I'd recommend the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

Ultimately, the design skills you must develop are going to be more important than the software you use. Design cannot be learned solely by reading a book or watching online tutorials -- you have to practice.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Another AE V Motion question
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 3:26:16 pm

[Jon Fidler] "...what do you think the best course of action would be?"

Others may disagree with this, and I hope they join in, saying WHY they disagree. From your description, I recommend getting AE in the near future, when you can better afford to get it. You'll doubtlessly come upon a situation where you're expected to to either use something or fix something created in AE. Having the application and a basic knowledge of it will help a lot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shawn MillerRe: Another AE V Motion question
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 9:25:19 pm

"Others may disagree with this, and I hope they join in, saying WHY they disagree."

Actually, I agree with you Dave. I would just add that AE, gives you much more room to grow.

Jon, advanced mograph and VFX may not be in your sights at the moment... but who knows how your carrer and interests will change over time. I'm not trying to disparage Motion, but over time - design expertise and an advanced knowlege of AE might take you to some interesting and unexpected places.

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]