ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Color Correcting Yellow Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake mendez
Color Correcting Yellow Footage
on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:14:02 pm

So, this footage was shot on a red camera, and I am having to make do for 1 shot, with the un-color corrected footage. The rest was done at a finishing house and looks great, i just need to get this 1 shot close to that. I studied a previous post with the same issue, and results were better but still very off.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/901354

ive played around with the channel mixer some but cant get it looking quite right. can anyone shed some light on this or which specific numbers i should tweek? been messing with it for a while but with so many separate parameters it is taking a while. Here is the yellow shot, and a color corrected shot from the finishing house. thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Color Correcting Yellow Footage
on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:49:04 pm

It would probably be a lot easier to being this into Color Finesse, which comes bundled with AE.
There are even a few tutorials on the topic of Color Finesse by Andrew Devis here on the COW -- go check 'em out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Feb 15, 2011 at 4:06:49 pm

Your color corrected shot will never look exactly like the one from the post house. Maybe if you would use the same software on the same system it was color corrected on you may be able to get close, but color correction involves a lot more than just mixing channels or playing with a soft/plugin like Color Finesse. There may be masks involved, layers of separate adjustments and in the end the eye of the person that does the correction. If you need a perfect match get the color corrected shot from the same place and do your effects on it.
Another way of doing it, especially since there is RED footage involved is to ask the post house for the clip exported as a sequence of TGA without fx on it. Do your fx and send back a sequence of TGA to be color corrected by the post house.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jake mendez
on Feb 15, 2011 at 4:26:14 pm

thanks for the help guys. i played with color finesse (how had i never heard of that tool before its amazing!) but wasnt happy with the results. the correcting was done on a flame machine with software that towers over finesse im sure. i sent a sample to my boss but suggested we get that clip done right by the finishing house.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Feb 15, 2011 at 6:40:57 pm

Good choice (suggesting to have the post house do the cc). As far as software goes, I can tell you that the tools in AE are not really that far from Flame right now ( I have used both). I have actually done intensive color grading in AE using Colorista, masks and some native AE plugins and the results are no different from what a Flame can do. The trick was that I had a colorist next to me that helped with the critical eye.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]