add window to a car

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Gharai
add window to a car
on Feb 14, 2011 at 4:40:16 pm

Hello,

So the setup of the shot is as follows:

Actor is driving a car (I will rotoscope as one shot) – against a green screen which is setup as a second shot.

What I think I should do is to have her window down when shooting and then add a window afterwards (build from scratch – which I don’t know how to do and wanted to know if there was a tutorial on this – was not able to find one).

My reasoning for doing this is because I can adjust the intensity of the window’s tint (The current window is very tinted)

Is this the best way to do this or am I going about it all wrong?

Big thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Sam G.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: add window to a car
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:05:18 pm

If it's a static shot- the camera does not move, then just shoot the car with the window up and no actor and composite on top and adjust to your needs.
If there's a camera move and you have a motion control rig, pretty much the same.
If there's no motion control rig, then it depends a lot on the camera move and how much the perspective changes. You could shoot a still of the window and track/distort using Mocha (Corner Pin)and comp that on top. Then you would have to fake reflections. You may be able to get away by using the reflections from the back window since you are shooting chroma.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Sam Gharai
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:16:07 pm

Thanks Ted!

I'll be honest - a few things you said went over my head :)

But you've given me a solid next step.

I don't have a motion control rig - I wish to do a tracking shot - but more than likely I'll just do zooms.

REG: "just shoot the car with the window up and no actor and composite on top and adjust to your needs."

- I get the shot with the car that I need and shoot the actor separately (siting on a green screen setup) and than composite over

Did I understand this correctly?

Also this will be a shot from within the interior. Here is a link to an example - http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.blogcdn.com/autos.aol.com/med...

Thanks a bunch!
Sam G.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:32:40 pm

[Sam Gharai] "I don't have a motion control rig - I wish to do a tracking shot - but more than likely I'll just do zooms."

That's a really, REALLY bad idea. If you do zoom on the shot, how do you propose to keep the background plate -- the image that will replace the green screen -- in perfect sync with your camera?

When you see a shot of people in a car on TV, do you ever see the camera zoom? Nope. It's a locked-down shot, and I recommend you take a page from the pros.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sam Gharai
on Feb 14, 2011 at 6:27:06 pm

Thanks Dave! Since I'm also shooting HDSLR it sounds like "lock down" is the way to go. Appreciate it your advice.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Feb 14, 2011 at 6:22:26 pm

Dave has a point with a lock down shot. However if for any reason you need to zoom in, best idea is to try and shoot with a camera that will give you a bigger image than what you will end up using (for example if you need HD, shoot with a 2k or even 4k camera like the RED One). This way you get a larger size image and you can do a zoom in post without loosing quality.
And yes, shoot the car with the window up- no actor, then shoot the actor in the car with the window down.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Sam Gharai
on Feb 14, 2011 at 6:25:45 pm

Thanks Ted for the great advice!
I'm shooting with HDSLR so I'm guessing the best is to keep zoom out and lock it all down.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:06:46 pm

I'll bet you'll shoot this on a locked-down shot. If you don't get any talent reflections off the window, I'd shoot a clean plate -- no talent -- of the window rolled up. Then you can add it back in if necessary when you get the shot with the talent.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sam Gharai
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:17:33 pm

Thanks Dave! I'm more than likely going to lock this bad boy down - Will give it a shot.

Cheers,
Sam G.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Feb 15, 2011 at 12:48:02 am

The folks at Video Copilot did a tutorial like this a while back:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/magic_glass/

Hopefully this helps.

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>