ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Export 10-bit w/Red footage... Redlog?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank CollinsExport 10-bit w/Red footage... Redlog?
by on Feb 13, 2011 at 10:10:53 pm

My turn with RED. I've been working and it all looks good. The color guy wants RedLog as an setting. I've been blowing through info on here and elsewhere online and redlog doesn't seem to be an option. That's a gamma thing, right? Anyway... I just downloaded some 10-bit uncompressed codecs and i'm gonna run a test soon. Any suggestions on export options here?
I'm on CS5, Mac OSX 10.5.8, 14 gigs/RAM, 5'9" brown hair/eyes.... (just a joke- so tired)
thanks!
frank

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Export 10-bit w/Red footage... Redlog?
by on Feb 13, 2011 at 11:37:50 pm
Last Edited By Cory Petkovsek on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:32:11 am

A common workflow is:

- Load the r3ds in redcine-x (latest beta).
- Export with color space: redcolor2, gamma space: redlogfilm (or redlog if he wants, but redlogfilm is better)
- Export into a 10-bit dpx, or 16-bit openexr sequence
- Import the image sequence in AE.

An alternative that is simpler, but may not provide as good of results is:
- Load the r3ds directly in AE
- Check "preserve rgb" (interpret footage dialog)
- Interpret how you like (more options button in interpret footage dialog).

The reason the latter is not as good is because red has released their newest color science: redcolor2, redgamma2, and redlogfilm. However this has not made it into the AE code base yet. Once it has, exporting from redcinex first is not necessary for best color results; but still may provide performance benefits.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Frank CollinsRe: Export 10-bit w/Red footage... Redlog?
by on Feb 14, 2011 at 12:05:28 am

that's good info... (i'm keeping for next time!) but I guess i wasn't clear after re-reading my own post.

I need to export out of AE using the RED footage and doing all my work in there. The colorist asked for Redlog out of AE, that's where i'm lost. I'm thinking of using Uncompressed YUV 10-bit 4:2:2 or bluefish 444 RGB 10-bit. Those seem to be the only 10 bit options i have at this point.
Anything else make sense?

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Export 10-bit w/Red footage... Redlog?
by on Feb 14, 2011 at 6:27:27 am
Last Edited By Cory Petkovsek on Nov 5, 2014 at 11:32:20 am

So export 10-bit dpx. Interpret the footage as redlog before export. Make sure your comp is 16-bit. Really you don't need AE to do this and you would be better off exporting 10-bit dpx out of redcinex with redlogfilm. But both times I gave you an answer to work with in AE.

Frankly your colorist should be telling you exactly what he wants. "redlog" is only a portion of what he should tell you. But perhaps he assumes you know to deliver it in a 10-bit dpx sequence. An exr sequence is also a good option. Outputting uncompressed is unnecessary.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]