ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

"Metropia" Style 2.5D Animation Questions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Boris Rautenberg"Metropia" Style 2.5D Animation Questions
by on Feb 11, 2011 at 6:47:54 pm

Hello fellow creative cows,

I am working on an animation project for which I want to achieve a semi-realistic", textured look. While doing research, I stumbled upon the movie "Metropia", which visually is exactly what I am looking for.

Like the "Metropia" movie, I would like to animate as much as possible in After Effects.
I already set up a test face with all the necessary layers (eye open/close, phonemes, eyebrows, etc..) and "rigged" them. Partially with Dan Ebberts "marker triggering", partially with the "time remapping" method.

It seems to me though, that the "Metropia" guys didn't work with the "phoneme replacement method" but rather separated teeth & lips and animated the lips with the puppet tool.
Am i right? Do you have any exeriences or insights reagrding that kind of animation?

What drives me crazy is the main characters head turns. Not only seems e.g. the perspective of the nose to shift correctly, but also the head turn reveals (formerly hidden) parts of the cheek, hair and ear. I understand that you can fake the ear with moving the separate ear layers in the opposite direction of the head turn.
But how did they do it with the cheek, hair and nose?

Is there maybe some kind of depth matte involved?

Metropia Head turning

Thanks for reading - any comments are more then welcomed.

Admin: I reposted this because it is really focused on AE and not on Motion Design....

Return to posts index

Scott RobertsRe: "Metropia" Style 2.5D Animation Questions
by on Feb 12, 2011 at 4:09:02 am

Not a whole lot about how they did it but he talks about it briefly here:

Return to posts index

Boris RautenbergRe: "Metropia" Style 2.5D Animation Questions
by on Feb 12, 2011 at 8:18:44 am

Hi Scott,
and thanks a lot for the video.

You guys also discussed this kind of animation already:

But what about the revealing of cheek and hair? I doesn't seem possible to me to realize that with this "trick".

Facial animation

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: "Metropia" Style 2.5D Animation Questions
by on Feb 13, 2011 at 9:38:11 am

You may find some clues here for the remarkable film made by Tiny Inventions:

The blog entry is long but fascinating, well worth a look.

They don't reveal the entire process, but its clear they achieved perspective volume on their characters by using many images, not by manipulating a single image in 2.5D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved