ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Introducing Advanced Pullldown?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mary SnyderIntroducing Advanced Pullldown?
by on Feb 11, 2011 at 6:25:27 pm

I am being asked to introduce something called 3:2:3 pulldown into a render. Has anyone heard of this...as being something different than regular old 3:2? I am speculating that the person who is asking me might be referring to 2:3:3:2 instead, AKA advanced pulldown.

Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I have to get back on the phone with this person.

Is it possible to add advanced pulldown into an AE render? I only see options for removing it on import, not introducing it at render time...

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Introducing Advanced Pullldown?
by on Feb 11, 2011 at 7:34:55 pm

I don't think AE can even make advanced-pulldown footage. If it can, you'll find it in the Render Settings once you add the comp to the Render Queue.

But it still sounds fishy: fhe ONLY reason advanced pulldown exists is to make it easy for computers to remove it. It's horrible to watch: very jerky. You don't edit with advanced pulldown footage. You remove the pulldown, and THEN you edit, at 23.976.

I'd double-check with the client and ask why he/she wants it. You can certainly deliver at 23.976 (aka 23.98), which should be the frame rate at which they're going to edit. It could be that the client thinks that the term "advanced" means it's cooler than footage with regular pulldown, which is definitely not the case.

It's definitely time to ask some probing questions, as in how your delivered footage will be used.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mary SnyderRe: Introducing Advanced Pullldown?
by on Feb 11, 2011 at 8:36:08 pm

Thanks so much. It's a very unique project with a unique display system at the end....so it's been a bit of a guessing game as to what will work best in terms of delivery. If they COULD display at 23.98, we would. Anyway, thanks for the response!

Still interested to hear if anyone has heard of 3:2:3 pulldown? As far as I know it's pulldown that lives in downtown LA. (joke)

;-)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Introducing Advanced Pullldown?
by on Feb 11, 2011 at 9:57:25 pm

I'm still scratching my head why won't normal 3:2 pulldown wouldn't do, so if you don't find a setting for advanced pulldown in the render settings, I'm out of answers. Sorry.

Wouldn't you know this weird display system would be in LA.....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Introducing Advanced Pullldown?
by on Feb 11, 2011 at 10:01:54 pm

[Mary Snyder] "Still interested to hear if anyone has heard of 3:2:3 pulldown? "

I had to break out a pad of paper to visualize it, but 3:2:3 pulldown will map 3 progressive frames to 4 interlaced frames.

3:2:3 will take 18p to 24i (which doesn't really exist). If you speed up the output by about 4% to 25i, this pulldown would be useful for transferring 8mm film to PAL. I'm curious to hear what your project's use for it will be!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mary SnyderRe: Introducing Advanced Pullldown?
by on Feb 12, 2011 at 1:05:58 am

Haha it's actually in Tokyo so no worries...I actually think this has more to do with a lack of knowledge on the client's part than anything clever that we might not be cued in to..(3:2:3, yeah that sounds fancy, tell her to try that...)..Thanks again for everyone's help I was able to sound like I knew what I was talking about on the phone call!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]