ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Project Window assets and folders disappear

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Bastin
Project Window assets and folders disappear
on Feb 11, 2011 at 5:26:17 pm

Having worked with After Effects for many years, I've never seen this happen. While I was working, I suddenly realized that 90% of the folders and the imported assets within them, went missing, yet my compositions were still in tact, and nothing was coming up as "footage missing". I am not sure if it was a key stroke that I accidentally made, or what, but like magic they weren't there. So when I right clicked on my "Hero Composition" to "Reveal Composition in Project", it would suddenly appear in the project window, no longer in my usual top folder of "Hero Compositions". So luckily, it didn't effect my project as a whole, apart from the management and organization of the project. But I also want to share how I got them back. I "revealed in Project" one more main comp, and then placed them in a new Hero Comps folder. Selecting them, I collected the files for those comps, which it did, and while watching the progress bar finish, the Mac's spinning color wheel appeared, and then all of a sudden, all my folders re-appeared again, like magic. Now that I think about it, I probably could have just closed the project and reopened it. And perhaps it was a Mac issue, and not even related to AE, but I wanted to share the predicament in case anyone came across and wasn't sure how to resolve it.

Paul Bastin
Editor, Film Maker, Photographer

Return to posts index

Adriano Moraes
Re: Project Window assets and folders disappear
on Feb 11, 2011 at 8:52:13 pm

I could replicate your problem by opening a project and "accidentally" hitting some keys when the serch area was selected on the Project tab.

Most things disapered. When I asked the comp to be revealed it shown up alone in the project panel just like you said.

Maybe that was what happened. Maybe not. But those little things sometime can really twist our minds.

Hope it was what happened and not some sort of problem you will run into again in the future.

I just wanted to share the tought.

Cheers.

ninguem
////http://cargocollective.com/ninguem/

Return to posts index

Paul Bastin
Re: Project Window assets and folders disappear
on Feb 11, 2011 at 9:56:07 pm

I bet that's what I did. Interesting. I've never used the search bar in the project window, so I wouldn't have thought about that possiblity, but good to know. I am so anal about how I organize my project and where I place things. When I teach AE, that is the one thing I try to drive into the students minds as much as possible. Thanks.

Paul Bastin
Editor, Film Maker, Photographer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]