ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to animate a Sinous Line

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele PoggiHow to animate a Sinous Line
by on Feb 11, 2011 at 4:08:11 pm

I'm going to do a Titolation Work for a Movie in 2K, and I'd like to animate a sinous line trough the screen creating text and following the borders of the background without any stop.

This is the general idea and I was going to do some tests to find the best way to do it, but.. You, guys, can borrow me some of your expertise with some advices? ;°

Mike of the Desert

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: How to animate a Sinous Line
by on Feb 11, 2011 at 4:15:46 pm

You can draw a path, animate that for the length of your clip to match the shapes you need (you can even track the movement of the background, apply that to a Null and link the path to it). Then Link Text to follow the path.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michele PoggiRe: How to animate a Sinous Line
by on Feb 11, 2011 at 4:22:17 pm

A path.. Uhm, maybe I'm missing some basics here, so we're not talking about a solid object or a black line made with a graphic tablet? The fact is that the PATH/LINE itself WILL create the text, it's not the text that will have to follow it. The problem is.. How to animate it as a 'creation', as a pen writing and not as a linear wipe appearing. :]

Mike of the Desert

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2011 at 5:44:43 pm

Use a mask to create a path and animate it, then link the text to that path/mask. Here's a good explanation of it.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2011 at 10:48:13 am

Thank you, I'll surely give a good check about it. By the way, what about making the Line Itself write the text? Even using an existing font is completely ok. Is it possibile without animating it almost frame by frame? Again, thanks for your professional and appreciated support. ;]

Mike of the Desert

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2011 at 7:48:39 pm

I am not sure what you mean by "the line itself writing the text" - can you be more specific, give some examples?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Feb 14, 2011 at 2:24:37 pm

Sure, and sorry if my english is an obstacle being not my first language. I'll do my best:

Think of a pen. Exactly that. A pen draws a continous, sinous line while writing words, doesn't it? THAT's my objective. Not a Font on a black line, but the line itself writing it. As well as following some borders of a background, like trees and stuff. The problem is the animation should be pretty smooth.. Ok, Did I gave a better idea? For anything else ask, I'm already appreciating a lot your support. ;]

Mike of the Desert

Return to posts index

by on Feb 14, 2011 at 4:50:16 pm

Create a series of stills that stitched together compose a long still of your background in PSD. Draw the text/line in AI like you want it. Import the vector in AE and composite + Track over the bk. Animate a mask (masks) to reveal the line. If the elements in the background move you may want to use something like Puppet Tool to match the line with the movement. That's about all I can suggest without looking at the animation myself.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]