by Jonny Revolt on Feb 10, 2011 at 7:21:04 pm
Not quite as radical as it sounds. I am having problems on a short film I am editing. There is a love scene (no nudity), the girl is wearing underwear and the director would like me to rotoscope her underwear. Here are the problems, it's a moving dolly shot, the lighting is dim, the actors are moving and the shot is slightly out of focus. With all that I have tried to clone the girls skin. Here is what it looks like cloned, https://www.me.com/gallery/#100247. I have used Rotobrush, about the same result when I stick skin in the roto area. I even tried to luma key the shot...
No matter what I do because of the shadows I get the same crappy result. Any suggestions?
Track the camera move. Roto around the underwear- you do not have to be tight on the skin, only where the mask touches the bedsheets. Mocha is the tool to do this in my opinion.
Comp the clip on top of itself and slide the layer under to show skin from above the underwear. You may need to combine two masks- one feathered for the skin and another just for clean edges where the bedsheets are.
I will give mocha a go. I had tried what you said with offsetting another layer below just above the underwear and you could still tell, with the rotobrush. Is there a way to blend the skin of the two layers together with either a blur or a smudge? without effecting the bed sheets maybe with a mask...
My guess is that the Rotobrush mask was jittery on the edges and that will make any patch obvious. A shape in Mocha will give you a solid matte. I suggest you make one mask for the bedsheets so you can comp them on top, and another mask for the skin patch that you can feather substantially to blend it in. Not knowing how big the underwear is I can not say for sure, but from what I saw in the clip you posted, it should not be a problem to match skin under the mask by offsetting the image. No blurring will work because it will destroy the skin texture and it will be very obvious.
One thing you may want to try is to track the actual underwear and export corner pin data from Mocha. Then build a clean patch in PSD and apply that with Match Grain in AE using the Corner Pin data. One tip- I am not sure if this can be done in a different way - maybe someone else can jump in and offer advice for both of us- but when exporting the corner pin data from Mocha and applying it to a patch layer, I have experienced a serious offset for the patch. The solution I found was to open Corner Pin, select all keyframes from each of the 4 point (one at a time) and adjust the position by sliding the numeric values (if you try to enter it by clicking on it and typing it in it will only do it for the keyframe on which the cursor is on in the timeline and it will not offset all keyframes).
Thanks for your help. I am actually going to use a combination of moca and roto brush. Moca is freaking out when tracking the underwear. So, I’ve roto brushed the underwear, it’s just a black g string. In moca I have tracked the sheets on two layers and the skin above and below the underwear with a strong feather and I’m putting it all together now.