ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Scale Multiple Compositions, not by percent

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian McBainScale Multiple Compositions, not by percent
by on Feb 10, 2011 at 3:11:50 am

Hello all,
I have multiple jpgs, of different dimentions. I wish to place each of them into a 1920X1080 Comp, but can't find a script to do this. There are a lot of jpgs, so I want to cut corners as much as I can.
Thanks for any help
Ian

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Scale Multiple Compositions, not by percent
by on Feb 10, 2011 at 12:44:49 pm

Have you considered batch processing them through Photoshop before bringing them into AE? If you're talking about scaling them up rather than down, you do realize they will lose resolution, right? That may not be a big deal if the change isn't drastic.

Return to posts index

Ian McBainRe: Scale Multiple Compositions, not by percent
by on Feb 10, 2011 at 2:28:48 pm

Hi,
It's the comps themselves I would like to resize. By default, when I create several comps from stills, they all automatically size the comps to the size of the image.
And yes, the resolution won't be an issue.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Scale Multiple Compositions, not by percent
by on Feb 10, 2011 at 2:44:05 pm

[Ian McBain] "I have multiple jpgs, of different dimentions. I wish to place each of them into a 1920X1080 Comp, but can't find a script to do this. There are a lot of jpgs, so I want to cut corners as much as I can."

Check out Christopher Green's outstanding scripts at http://www.crgreen.com/aescripts/, download Selected_Comps_Changer.jsx, and send a few dollars Mr. Green's way.

Select all your images in the project panel, drag them onto the new comp button, and select "Multiple Compositions." Next, select all the compositions, run Selected_Comps_Changer, and set the resolution to 1920x1080.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Ian McBainRe: Scale Multiple Compositions, not by percent
by on Feb 10, 2011 at 3:02:05 pm

That is exactly what I need. Thanks very much. I will certainly throw him a few dollars, as the time saved with these scripts will be money saved too.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2011 at 3:07:46 pm

All of his scripts are brilliant and very, very useful. Some of them solve problems I didn't even realize I had!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Robert HoisanRe: Scale Multiple Compositions, not by percent
by on Feb 13, 2011 at 2:28:55 pm

I use this script from Ben Rollason. It does a great job.
Ripple

It’s very basic….there are no instructions or help… but it will do what you want.

Install it in your scripts folder. It won’t work as a docked panel / script UI.

Select top level comp, change duration setting of this comp manually. Run the script, click ‘Ripple’. The duration setting of the top level comp will be rippled down through all subcomps and layer lengths will be adjusted accordingly.

Robert Hoisan
Motion Graphics Artist

Return to posts index

Bartek SkorupaRe: Scale Multiple Compositions, not by percent
by on Feb 10, 2011 at 3:06:24 pm

The script you showed is fantastic, but it will not do one thing, that I suppose is important for Ian:
It will not scale the layers inside the comps.
Let me propose something:
How about you make single comp from all the pictures, then set the size of this comp to whatever you want, then select all of the layers, fit then to comp's size (Cmd-Alt-F, or Cmd-Alt-Shift-H, or Cmd-Alt-Shift-G, depending on your preferred way of fitting) and then pre-compose them all using the script that you can find here:

http://www.digitaldistortion.net/resources/scripts/AE/Precomp_to_duration_M...

This script has one disadvantage: it names all the comps like: "Shot_001", "Shot_002 and so on.
If you want your comps to be named as the layers, you can change one line in the script.

line 65 reads:
var newComp = myComp.layers.precompose(layerIndice, newCompName + shotNumberPadded, true );

change it to:
var newComp = myComp.layers.precompose(layerIndice, newCompName + myLayers[myLayersCounter].name, true );

Hope it helps.

---edit---

Oops... Hi Ian. It's great that what Walter showed us is exactly what you need. My solution may then be helpful in some other scenarios.

Bartek Skorupa
Warszawa, Poland

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2011 at 3:09:35 pm

Brilliant!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Christopher R. GreenRe: Scale Multiple Compositions, not by percent
by on Feb 13, 2011 at 7:27:43 am

Thanks for the kind words, Walter. I usually feel that I barely keep up some sort of geek-cred.

I think it's time to update one of those scripts soon ...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]