ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

organic rubberband effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reuben Fink
organic rubberband effect
on Feb 9, 2011 at 8:02:28 pm

I have a client who needs a logo animated. Their design looks like a rubber band that been twisted once into the shape similar to mobius strip (figure 8). I want to have that design to be whipping about in an organic fashion twisting and untwisting and vibrating.. to roughly simulate string theory. Any idea how to go about this? I also have Trapcode suite 10. So I was thinking of trying to implement particular or form. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

OSX 10.5.8
Equipment: 2.8 ghz 8 core Intal Mac Pro, 20 gig of ram
Aps: CS3 Production Bundle, FCP Suite 2, Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: organic rubberband effect
on Feb 9, 2011 at 8:31:11 pm

form would probably be a better place to start than particular... with particular it's harder to control the particles after birth...

a really easy place to start would be cc twistor. try bringing a ring (simple stroked circle) into a comp, then adding cc twistor and drag the 'completion' property around to see if that might give you what you want.

another one you could look at is cc ball action... it will obviously make the 'rubber band' look like it is made of little balls, but it does have twist properties and maybe little molecule-like particles is a look you could sell...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Reuben Fink
Re: organic rubberband effect
on Feb 10, 2011 at 5:33:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead with "form" and got it looking really close to what I need. I'll spend more time tweaking. When I first attempted to twist the grid to make a figure 8 It looked close but it wasn't really connected at both ends since it's just spiraling around the x axis. I didn't get the look I wanted until I created a ring using layer shapes and then assigned that as an alpha matte under the layer maps settings in form. This worked great to get a ring made of particles then I twisted the particle grid which gave me the figure eight shape I desired.

OSX 10.6.4
Equipment: 2.8 ghz 8 core Intal Mac Pro, 20 gig of ram
Aps: CS5 Production Bundle, FCP Suite 2, Avid Media Composer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]