ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Whats Wrong With My AE 3D Camera Function?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Carey
Whats Wrong With My AE 3D Camera Function?
on Feb 9, 2011 at 4:56:27 pm

I am trying to create an extruded text image in AE CS5 by importing a Photoshop repousse composition and then manipulating it as described in this tutorial:

http://www.lynda.com/home/Player.aspx?lpk4=63386

When trying to use the universal camera to move the image around there is so much latency that it is useless. I've tried to save the image in photoshop as "interactive" rather than ray traced, I've placed the layer in AE in draft mode and still can't get the thing to move smoothly.

I updated the driver to my NVIDIA Quadro 600 graphics card, am running Window's 7 of course, using an Intel i7 2600K processor with 16 gig of RAM.

Any idea why this is acting up?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Whats Wrong With My AE 3D Camera Function?
on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:32:56 pm

that's been my experience too... i suppose that's why adobe didn't just build those 3d options into ae to start with. maybe cs6 will incorporate a better ability to handle 3d objects, it would be nice to be able to do the extrusion and lighting in ae too.. it doesn't make any sense to me to have to do that in photoshop.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Marcus Carey
on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:45:47 pm

I called Adobe and they suggested that the updates needed to be downloaded and installed. I'm in the process now (2 hr download on a T1). We'll see how that goes and I'll update this thread.

Did you look at the video tutorial? It showed a very fluid camera movement in the AE manipulation of the PS image.

Must be a fix somewhere.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 9, 2011 at 7:06:54 pm

well i have to take back what i said... i had tried it in cs4, and that had been my experience, but i just tried it in cs5, and (with draft enabled, or with the psd scene being set to 'interactive') response was quite good.

i am running the latest update of cs5 (ae 10.0.1), and i just have a basic consumer consumer grade graphics card (geforce gt 120), but i do have a 16-core machine.

so now my question to adobe is why can't i just create 3d primitives and simple extrusion in ae...?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 10, 2011 at 5:02:13 am

> so now my question to adobe is why can't i just create 3d primitives and simple extrusion in ae...?

Where to submit your vote:
http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Regarding the original question: Performance with 3D object layers from Photoshop is heavily dependent on both RAM and the GPU (OpenGL, specifically), as well as the complexity of the model. It's a very finicky feature.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]