ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

best way to output different versions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anhtu Vu
best way to output different versions
on Feb 9, 2011 at 12:17:36 am

My 5 sec logo animation has been approved by the client. This Logo will be used for TV, DVD, Bluray in various flavors ( 1080i/p, 720p and NTSC ). I want to deliver the best quality possible and catering to different format without the need to convert thus lowering its quality.

My intention is to output the same logo in: 1080i and p, 720 i and p and NTSC.

what's the best way to achieve this ?
Since my original Comp is in 1080i@ 29.97, should i save as a new project then change the comp to 720 and proceed the same for ntsc.

how about frame rate, should i output in different frame rate also ?? If i understand correctly, changing frame rate of an image without altering its format ( 1080, 720...) is a simple matter of reconforming which should not affect image quality at all.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: best way to output different versions
on Feb 9, 2011 at 8:33:30 am

Resize the 1080 comp in the Output module - as far as frame rate conversion, this was recently posted on the cow:

http://library.creativecow.net/harrington_richard/Converting-Frame-Rates/1

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Anhtu Vu
on Feb 9, 2011 at 4:42:47 pm

This logo is all generated within AE ( text, animation flares...), i'm not importing any footage with a define frame rate so there no need for frame rate conversion.

I guess my original question was not clear. Basically, I was asked to design a logo for a company, the Logo will be used on all their film, which of course, includes a variety of format.

The Logo has been approved, now i need to deliver the mov to them. There was no precise instruction from them other than give us the best quality possible. So i thought of giving them the same Logo in ( 1080, 720, 480 ) but i'm not sure at which frame rate, it does not make sense having to output every existing frame rate for each format. Suggestions ??

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 9, 2011 at 4:52:53 pm

If they're serious about "best possible quality", you'll render out tiff or png sequences. That's the "best possible quality".

As for the various sizes, I'd make a 1280 x 720 comp, plus comps using the NTSC DV, NTSC DV Widescreen, and NTSC D1 comp presets. For the 16x9 comps, simply nest the 1920x1080 comp in them and scale the layer to fit. For the 4x3 comps, nest the 1920x1080 comp in them and scale the layer to fit the comps VERTICALLY; the sides of the nested layer will be cut off.

I presume your graphics were created with 4x3 Title Safe in mind.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anhtu Vu
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:31:40 pm

Actually my question is more about which frame rate should i deliver my mov. As for sizes, i got it covered by just taking my original comp (approved version in 1080) and duplicate it, then change its preset to the output size i want ( 720 and NTSC ).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:13:11 pm

[Anhtu Vu] "Actually my question is more about which frame rate should i deliver my mov."

A lot of it has to do with the entity playing back your animations, and where on the planet this entity is located.... as in PAL/NTSC frame rates. Is that what you mean?

What are you trying to do: make this animation universally playable? Sorry, but that's a tall order.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:18:17 pm

i suppose you could stick with the common standards...

broadcast (for ntsc/atsc):
- 1920x1080, 59.94 fields per second
- 1920x1080, 29.97 frames per second
- 1280x720, 59.94 frames per second
- 720x486, .91 par, 59.94 fields per second

for bluray you could add:
- 1920x1080, 23.976 frames per second

for dvd you could add:
- 720x480, .91 par, 23.976 frames per second
- 720x480, 1.2 par, 23.976 frames per second
- 720x480, 1.2 par, 59.94 fields per second

if you wanted the most flexible single format that a graphics guy/gal could use to create anything they needed for broadcast/bluray/dvd/web then there's a non-standard format that you could use:
1920x1080, 59.94 frames per second

with the largest frame and the highest frame rate, some body like myself can make that into 1080i, 720p60, 480i really easily - 24p would be a bit harder.

however a wacky frame rate like that won't jive well in nle's and many other applications, so it would really depend who'se getting the file...

if you wanted a smaller selection, i'd choose 1080i60, 720p60 and a 480i60 (.91 par/4x3). those are probably the most common. anyone working in widescreen sd, can probably handle the hd files correctly, so the 4x3 version is just for someone stuck with a really old nle or need to deliver 4x3 for whatever reason.

if you wanted to add a 24p (23.976) version, go with 1080p24... again, i'd assume that anyone working with 24p would be able to handle the the 1080 frame size. 1080p24 can also work quite well for pal time lines (it's quite easy to conform 24p to 25p).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]