ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Remove Video Banding??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris NewtonRemove Video Banding??
by on Feb 8, 2011 at 10:08:02 pm

Hi guys,

I recently messed up some footage in filmed under fluorescent lights that now have thick black lines moving up the screen.

I cant re-shoot and really need some sort of magic to happen to fix or at least minimise it.

I filmed on a Nikon D5000 dslr camera and looking at it, the shutter speed was wrong.

If you could give me any advice on how to sort this mess out, i would greatly appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Remove Video Banding??
by on Feb 9, 2011 at 8:42:29 am

I'm sorry to say but you will not be able to fix this and make it look like it never happened- the only way to do that is to re-shoot. however, this is what I would try:
Create a animated mask on a white solid that follows the banding- theoretically this should be constant, so you will need to create a loop- animate 2-3 such masks to be able to create that loop (not seeing the footage makes it impossible to tell exactly how many masks you need to animate and what feathering they should have). Put a black solid under and render out the loop. This is your matte. Composite the clip on top of itself using this matte and color correct to match the banding - probably you will need to apply color correction on both layers to bring them in some what of a visual harmony. It may work or it may not< but it seems to me in your situation that it may be worth a try.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Eddy RoseRe: Remove Video Banding??
by on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:27:44 pm

You can screen a black solid layer with the Add Noise effect (color noise turned off) to soften the banding.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved