ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Camera Mapping Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey ForemanCamera Mapping Problem
by on Feb 8, 2011 at 9:28:09 pm

Hi Folks. I'm running into some issues trying to match a perspective plane to a 3d camera in a typical camera mapping setup. I have matched my camera focal length to what the original scene was shot at, but no matter how far back in Z I position the 1st plane, and no matter what angle I rotate it in Y, I can't get it to line up with the building in the shot.

If there are any camera mapping gurus who have a bit of free time and could take a stab at this for me, I would extremely grateful.

This must be done in CS4 or earlier, as I don't have CS5.

Here's a screen grab.

Any takers?

Project file included.

Thanks in advance!

1620_carltonst.parkingdeckfolder.zip

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Camera Mapping Problem
by on Feb 8, 2011 at 10:28:19 pm

The lines on the building aren't plumb a result of the perspective/lens.

I used another technique, rather than manipulate the grid layer, change the camera orientation and perspective to match the shot.

Notice that the horizontal grid following the roofline is correct while the vertical lines don't match the windows or building edges.

Not sure you can get an accurate match for this one... perhaps someone else has a better suggestion.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Camera Mapping Problem
by on Feb 9, 2011 at 2:33:36 am

Thanks for your effort, Brian. Unfortunately, it seems, changing the camera's orientation destroys the project effect.
If you turn off the grid and turn on the 3d layer, the image is no longer projected on the plane.
Unless I inadvertently turned something off - but I think I double checked everything.

Joey Foreman

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Camera Mapping Problem Photoshop Vanishing Point
by on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:25:32 pm

Have you tried Photoshop Vanishing Point? You can import the VPE file as a comp and composite that.

VPE

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Camera Mapping Problem Photoshop Vanishing Point
by on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:27:27 pm

Been trying it since this morning. Problematic, but much easier. I'll let you know how it goes.

Joey Foreman

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Camera Mapping Problem
by on Feb 20, 2011 at 8:04:36 am

[Joey Foreman] "I have matched my camera focal length to what the original scene was shot at"

Your focal length may be correct, but if so then your film back is almost certainly incorrect. Your AE camera has a 129° diagonal field of view. That's an incredibly wide angle.

Try changing the film back of the camera to 11.20mm, that seemed to work almost perfectly for lining things up in my case.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Feb 20, 2011 at 10:37:15 am

Thanks, Darby, I'll give that a try.

Joey Foreman

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Camera Mapping Problem
by on Feb 23, 2011 at 6:08:49 pm

Didn't get a chance to upload this when I was playing with it, but I put together some of the scene with a different camera pretty successfully.

1668_carltonst.parkingdeckfolder.zip

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Feb 23, 2011 at 6:12:07 pm

Thank you, Darby. I'll check it out.

Joey Foreman

Return to posts index

by on Feb 23, 2011 at 9:46:15 pm

Got around to having a look, and for some reason the projection texture isn't sticking to the solids when I move the Motion Camera. Am I overlooking a setting?

Joey Foreman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]