ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

.MTS file conversion for importing - CS3

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Brown.MTS file conversion for importing - CS3
by on Feb 8, 2011 at 2:05:55 am

Hi guys,

This is a real simple question but I don’t want to mess it up, so I will ask.

I have shot footage at 25fps, 1440x1080 using a Canon HF100, the file saves as a .MTS.
After Effects CS3 will not import this?
(it will import MPEG, MPE, MPG, M2V, MPA, MP2, M2A, MPV, M2P, M2T, VOB, MOD, AC3, MP4, M4V, M4A)

I have AVS Video Converter 6 that will convert it to avi, mp4, mpeg, wmv, mov and bluray.

What type of file should I convert it to so that it is lossless in quality?
(avi, mp4, wmv and mov does not give the frame rate details)

Thanks.
Will.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: .MTS file conversion for importing - CS3
by on Feb 8, 2011 at 3:49:44 pm

[Will Brown] "What type of file should I convert it to so that it is lossless in quality?"

You got Quicktime Pro? This fine 35-dollar addition to your multimedia arsenal will allow you to export Quicktime movies in the PNG (first choice) or Animation (second choice) codecs, both of which are lossless.

If astoundingly-huge file sizes aren't an issue, you could also export image sequences; I'd go for PNG (again!) or TIFF, at 32 bits. When imported into AE as image sequences, conform the frame rate to 25 in the interpret footage settings.

[Will Brown] "After Effects CS3 will not import this?
(it will import MPEG, MPE, MPG, M2V, MPA, MP2, M2A, MPV, M2P, M2T, VOB, MOD, AC3, MP4, M4V, M4A)"

I wouldn't fool with those other codecs you list; they're all long-gop codecs, and they give AE8 absolute fits. This is an issue that was cleared up with AE 10.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]