ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

.MTS file conversion for importing - CS3

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Brown
.MTS file conversion for importing - CS3
on Feb 8, 2011 at 2:05:55 am

Hi guys,

This is a real simple question but I don’t want to mess it up, so I will ask.

I have shot footage at 25fps, 1440x1080 using a Canon HF100, the file saves as a .MTS.
After Effects CS3 will not import this?
(it will import MPEG, MPE, MPG, M2V, MPA, MP2, M2A, MPV, M2P, M2T, VOB, MOD, AC3, MP4, M4V, M4A)

I have AVS Video Converter 6 that will convert it to avi, mp4, mpeg, wmv, mov and bluray.

What type of file should I convert it to so that it is lossless in quality?
(avi, mp4, wmv and mov does not give the frame rate details)

Thanks.
Will.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: .MTS file conversion for importing - CS3
on Feb 8, 2011 at 3:49:44 pm

[Will Brown] "What type of file should I convert it to so that it is lossless in quality?"

You got Quicktime Pro? This fine 35-dollar addition to your multimedia arsenal will allow you to export Quicktime movies in the PNG (first choice) or Animation (second choice) codecs, both of which are lossless.

If astoundingly-huge file sizes aren't an issue, you could also export image sequences; I'd go for PNG (again!) or TIFF, at 32 bits. When imported into AE as image sequences, conform the frame rate to 25 in the interpret footage settings.

[Will Brown] "After Effects CS3 will not import this?
(it will import MPEG, MPE, MPG, M2V, MPA, MP2, M2A, MPV, M2P, M2T, VOB, MOD, AC3, MP4, M4V, M4A)"

I wouldn't fool with those other codecs you list; they're all long-gop codecs, and they give AE8 absolute fits. This is an issue that was cleared up with AE 10.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]