ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Matching PP Color Correction in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John YoungMatching PP Color Correction in AE
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 11:08:08 pm

I was wondering the workflow that you all use for color correcting clips used in After Effect compositions. I have been using Fast Color Corrector in Premiere and having good success. But I am having trouble matching that color correction with the color correction I am trying to do inside of After Effects. My AE project has quicktime animation clips that need to match the need to match the color correction I am doing on the original mp4 clips in PP. I am using dynamic link to get AE comps into PP. I cannot color correct the entire AE comp in PP, I just need to correct a specific clip in that comp.

My project is at picture lock and I am hoping I don't have to color correct the mp4 clip in PP and then re-render out to AE.

John

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Matching PP Color Correction in AE
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 11:12:22 pm

First question, and it's an important one: what version of AE are you running?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John YoungRe: Matching PP Color Correction in AE
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 11:36:27 pm

AE and PP are both CS3.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 7, 2011 at 11:45:33 pm

If you need to correct Animation-codec clips ONLY in AE, you should be fine with AE8. The problem is with the mp4 footage -- it will throw your version of AE for a loop; this issue was solved in AE 10.

If you need the surrounding shots for reference, I'd recommend exporting them as tiff file sequences, and using Color Finesse. which comes bundled with AE 8, for the color correction.

Once the correction is done, delete the tiff sequences from the comp, and render just the corrected clips.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

John YoungRe: Matching PP Color Correction in AE
by on Feb 8, 2011 at 5:43:22 pm

In my After Effects, Color Finesse is a third party plug that you have to buy. Are you saying that buying Color Finesse will make the color matching more precise? Or am I still just going to eye balling it and using my scope to try and make it match.

What is your color correction workflow when using PP and AE?
Thanks for the responses.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 8, 2011 at 5:49:10 pm

[John Young] "What is your color correction workflow when using PP and AE? "

None: I cut in Final Cut Pro.
And I'm surprised that you'd have to buy Color Finesse. Are you certain that it isn't a separate installation on your AE installation disk? And it has scopes built into it; you still have to set them up properly, of course. As always, use hardware scopes if you have 'em.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Bob CurrierRe: Matching PP Color Correction in AE
by on Feb 10, 2011 at 11:22:28 pm

Color Finesse isn't an additional purchase, it's installed automatically into After Effects by the Adobe CS4 and CS5 installers. In CS3 it was a separate installer on the Adobe DVD, but there was still a serial number for it included with AE. Look in the Effects menu under "Synthetic Aperture" and you should find Color Finesse.

Adobe does license it only for use in After Effects. If you want to also use it with Premiere Pro then you'd need to upgrade it through our web site to the "PI" version. Perhaps that's what you were thinking of. (If you think Adobe should also license it for Premiere Pro, let them know by filing a feature request.)

But for After Effects, Adobe has already paid for it for you, so please take advantage of that and get color correcting!

Bob Currier
Synthetic Aperture

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]