ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

relinking missing footage in cs5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eric peschel
relinking missing footage in cs5
on Feb 7, 2011 at 8:06:27 pm

I've come across something and wonder if there's a fix.

Relinking missing footage doesn't work like it used to. Before i could relink one missing file from my media library and after effects would relink all other missing files in said library.

Since upgrading to cs5, i've found that now ae only relinks files in the exact same folder as the relinked file, forcing me to spend too much time relinking a file from every folder and subfolder.

Is there a new preference that i'm unaware of?
I can't spend my entire day relinking files.
Does anyone know a way to fix this?
thanks

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: relinking missing footage in cs5
on Feb 8, 2011 at 2:00:51 am

It's working for me.

What version of After Effects? (I.e., have you installed the recent updates?) What operating system?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Micajah Smithson
on Feb 11, 2011 at 11:10:59 pm

Having the same re-linking problems. AE Cs5 v 10.0.1.19.
Previously I would find re-link i layer of a photoshop file and then AE would find the rest. Now i have to re-link every file of 185 files.

Return to posts index

Micajah Smithson
on Feb 11, 2011 at 11:49:53 pm

Figured it out - but it wasn't obvious.

I had a AE comp and files that were working on drive A. I needed to update and revise the project file but didn't want to loose the previous version. So I collected the file to another folder on Drive B. AE completed the collection. I ejected Drive A, then double-clicked the collected AE project file on drive B and it messaged 168 files missing. So I relinked one of the files that were missing, but none of the other files re-linked. It seems like previous versions before CS5 just did this with no problems.

I re-set prefs and tried again - same problem.

So - I moved all the footage files out of the collected footage folder up one level into where the AE project file was located, re-opened the file, re-linked one missing file and viola - all the files re-linked.
It appears that the footage needs to be in the same folder as the project file, but the default file structure for a collected file is not arranged that way, so has something changed or is this a bug?
Like I said it seems that previous versions of AE were not that picky of where the source files were.

CS5 AE 10.0.1.19 on a 2X2.93 GHz Quad Core Mac running 10.6.6

Return to posts index

eric peschel
on Feb 12, 2011 at 12:26:40 am

yes, it seems the way ae handles folder hierarchy has changed.
at work we have a separate library drive that contains all our media.
it is impossible for us to work the way you have described. there had to be another way to deal with this.

Return to posts index

Micajah Smithson
on Feb 12, 2011 at 12:40:11 am

Yeah - I know -we have multiple Final Cut/AE systems all connected to an Xraid system via fibre and AE worked flawlessly until CS5. Fortunately we have enough drive space to be able to duplicate files. However It's going to get messy when it comes to archiving - unless were very careful in renaming and documenting.

Return to posts index

eric peschel
on Feb 12, 2011 at 3:59:25 am

Todd,
i'm in CS5 AE v10.0.1.19

We are having problems when switching between platforms. that's when the unlinking occurs.

I just tried putting one of the missing files loose in our library and relinking that.
I thought that if a relinked file was at the top of the folder hierarchy all other files would be found.
not the case.

I can't believe we are the only ones coming across this problem.
any ideas for a fix? besides collecting all files as Micajah Smithson suggested.

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]