ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Having a problem with feathering my mask!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herman Lessey
Having a problem with feathering my mask!
on Feb 6, 2011 at 10:50:52 pm

I'm trying to do a simple feather of an elliptical mask and it won't work....

I created a circle mask using the ellipse tool on a fractal noise solid. I want to do a simple feathering but it just expands the hard edge! Can anyone give me a hand?

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: Having a problem with feathering my mask!
on Feb 7, 2011 at 4:15:35 am

That should work as simply as you described and expected ... maybe post a screenshot of the timeline and viewer so folks can look for anything strange that would cause a mask not to feather.

Return to posts index

Jason Mettler
on Feb 7, 2011 at 6:14:02 pm

By chance is your mask a shape layer? If that's the case it won't affect the fractal noise layer. Other effects can interfere as well (that's why stacking order is important). For instance, a CC radial fast blur turned all the way up will eliminate a mask. Do you have any interfering effects on the same layer?

Return to posts index

Herman Lessey
on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:02:41 am

"By chance is your mask a shape layer? If that's the case it won't affect the fractal noise layer. Other effects can interfere as well (that's why stacking order is important). For instance, a CC radial fast blur turned all the way up will eliminate a mask. Do you have any interfering effects on the same layer?"

If you mean if it's a shape layer from the ellipse tool function, yes. I don't have any effects that I know of. I created a layer solid and then added the fractal noise. Once that was done, I made a circle mask with the ellipse tool which as the fractal noise within the circle. It try to feather it but it won't work. Actually, I'm following one of the video co-pilot tutorials. Wow, something so simple has become such an obstacle! Any help?!

Return to posts index

Jason Mettler
on Feb 9, 2011 at 8:29:19 pm

i'm not sure exactly of what you're experiencing. I tried to replicate it. Is there a reason why you used a shape layer? They technically aren't masks (at least they don't act that way). If you have two layers, let's say, and you need to apply a fractal noise over the lower one, you'd want to make a new solid (not shape) and apply fractal noise to that one. Apply the pen tool or pre-shape mask to the layer with it selected in the timeline (if not selected you get a new shape layer--no good)

If that is what you have already, can I ask what tutorial you're following and where you're stuck?

Return to posts index

Phil Lister
on Jan 21, 2014 at 9:02:58 pm

I have the same problem now. I'm actually creating a mask for a layer, not a shape layer. The mask simply won't feather! WTH?

The composition is for a photo, not an actual AE video. I'm using AE as thougn it's Photoshop because of the filters available in AE.
Does that make a difference?

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]