ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Render Fails on AE / ProAnimator Project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry DelcegRender Fails on AE / ProAnimator Project
by on Feb 5, 2011 at 8:47:16 pm

I have an AE project which will not complete a render. The failure frame varies, but (depending on render settings) will fail anywhere from 18-22 seconds in. I have tried what seems like everything - every possible combination of options in both the AE and the ProAnimator render preferences.
This 30 second project consists of two lights and a ProAnimator layer. The ProAnimator layer is a detailed modeled animation with a video layer map and shadows (set at 1500) generated from the After Effects lights. The project does not become increasingly complex - the full 30 seconds is a single animated scene.
I use a PC with CS3, ProAnimator 4.5.1, Win 7x64, 4 gig ram, 2TB HD. Project is 8bpc color. I am rendering to lossless AVI. I've tried rendering to other formats - also resulting in failure.
I've tried altering the Max Mem and Max Ram settings, and well as the 'secret' rendering options - all to no avail.
This is especially frustrating, because the project has an over 8 hour render time, and every time I make a change it takes 6-7 hours to find out if it has failed.
I've been trying to complete this render every night for a month and am exasperated. I'll post this on both the AE and Zax forums, hoping that some of you in the COW brain pool can assist. I'm grateful for the help! Thank-you!
Larry

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Render Fails on AE / ProAnimator Project
by on Feb 5, 2011 at 8:50:50 pm

Two things:
If you have Open GL on turn it off.
Render file sequences - tga or tiff or the like- this way you can always pick up where your render crashed.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Larry DelcegRe: Render Fails on AE / ProAnimator Project
by on Feb 5, 2011 at 9:30:56 pm

Hi Ted - Open GL is off.
I've never rendered files sequences. I'm not sure what that means. If you can provide a little direction, I'd love to give it a try.
Thanks for the Assistance!
- Larry

Return to posts index

by on Feb 5, 2011 at 10:18:45 pm

In the output module select Targa or Tiff- this will give you a numbered sequence of still files. Render to a separate folder. You can read more about it here.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Feb 5, 2011 at 11:22:31 pm

Hi Ted - I looked over the specifics on your proposed solution - to use image sequences - and it appears to be a creative workaround for my rendering problem. I'm excited to try it and get this project done!
However, I don't see an option for starting the render at a specific frame number or location on the timeline. Do image sequences have to began rendering at frame 1 - i.e. the beginning of the project?
Thx!
- Larry

Return to posts index

by on Feb 6, 2011 at 9:49:29 am

In Render Settings you have a Custom button that allows you to set the exact starting and ending frame number (timecode) for your render. You can also set the Work Area by dragging the bar at the top of your layers in the Timeline.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Feb 8, 2011 at 11:24:34 am

Hi Ted - I really want to thank you for leading me to a workaround for my rendering problem. I performed multiple renders using .tiff sequences and the entire project is now finally rendered. This is a great technique!
Thanks for graciously giving your time to assist. If everyone was willing to help one another - what a transformed place this world would be!
Warm Regards,
Larry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]