ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Interpeting of footage has gone wrong

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aleksander RebaInterpeting of footage has gone wrong
by on Feb 5, 2011 at 6:47:30 pm

So the case is that I have edited an entire short with Premiere Pro and are now beginning to do the effects in After Effects. I shot it on the Panasonic HVX200A at 24 fps, but I just realised that both Premiere and AE interprets the footage as 29,97 and 59,94, but not a single clip is interpreted as 23,976. Both the Premiere project settings and my AE comp setting is at 23,976, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the files.

When I go interpret footage -> main -> conform to frame rate 23,976 it all becomes slow motion. When I just leave it at 59,94 my effects becomes off sync in Premiere. My muzzleflashes for example, miss by a frame or two, but when I review it in AE it is perfect.

I would use Andrew Kramers "Frame Rate Converter" at Videocopilot.net if it weren't for the fact that it is not supported by Adobe CS5.

What do I do?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Interpeting of footage has gone wrong
by on Feb 5, 2011 at 7:52:28 pm

That format uses pulldown, and you have to remove the pulldown.

One of the formats used by Panasonic P2 cameras is 24p (23.976) over 60p (59.94) using pulldown, but it's not a regular pulldown cadence, and After Effects doesn't automatically identify it correctly.

Use one of the 24pA cadences, even though this format doesn't really use 24pA. It should all work out anyway.

The cadence appears to be 2:2:2:4.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Aleksander RebaRe: Interpeting of footage has gone wrong
by on Feb 6, 2011 at 6:39:33 pm

When I go right-click -> interpret footage -> main -> remove pulldown, it doesn´t give me an option to choose 2:2:2:4. I can choose between:

http://WWWSW
WWSWW
WSWWW
SWWWW
and
http://WWWWS

If I first click on the "Use framerate from file (59,94)", then fill in 23,976 in the "conform to frame rate" field and then randomly choose one of the pulldown options, it says "Effective framerate of 47,952 fps" and I don´t get the result I want.

If I on the other hand first click on the "Conform to frame rate 23,976" and then click on one of the pulldown options, it says "Effective frame rate of 19,181" which basically makes it slow motion.

By the way, I have noticed that all of my effects are timed perfectly in AE, but when I watch them frame by frame in Premiere (through Dynamic Link) I can clearly see that some frames are being held over the course of two frames, which makes the timing off. This is the root of my problems, right?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Interpeting of footage has gone wrong
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 5:40:45 pm

[Aleksander Reba] "I have edited an entire short with Premiere Pro and are now beginning to do the effects in After Effects. I shot it on the Panasonic HVX200A at 24 fps, but I just realised that both Premiere and AE interprets the footage as 29,97 and 59,94, but not a single clip is interpreted as 23,976. Both the Premiere project settings and my AE comp setting is at 23,976, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the files."

I'm sorry that you've gotten so far along in the project, but it really is time to go back to the start and do things properly. You need to remove the pulldown from your footage. If you don't, you'll have all sorts of trouble in AE.

I'm also sorry that I don't know enough about Premiere to tell you how to remove the pulldown. I bet you could find out on the COW's Premiere forum.

Once you remove the pulldown, you'll probably have to readjust your edit to fix gaps that now appear in the edit timeline. It's normal. It happens.

For future reference, you should know that the HVX 200 will shoot 23.976 actual frames per second at 720; it's called 720pN, and it's EXTREMELY handy -- no pulldown to fool with! You need to use P2 cards; it won't work recording to tape.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]