ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

proper 24p 1080i workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cherlique lilienthalproper 24p 1080i workflow
by on Feb 5, 2011 at 4:28:30 am

I just started using my first HD 24p camcorder. i used to work with a panasonic pv-gs120 3CCD camcorder and i could do pretty amazing stuff with it. i understood the work-flow very smoothly but sinds i started working with footage from the hv40, i started to run in a bit of trouble. in after effects when i drag and drop the clip into the create a new comp button the frame rate is 29.97 and the footage looks stretched vertically. i tought that the comp was supposed to taken on all the properties of the footage when dragging into the button. i can manually change this but should i? or do i use another comp preset? also is there some kind of blending mode or motion blur i should be using to make the 24p look really smooth?

Return to posts index

Simon BonnerRe: proper 24p 1080i workflow
by on Feb 5, 2011 at 1:35:05 pm

Sounds like AE isn't recognising the properties of your imported footage. Select your footage in the Project panel and you will see the properties of the footage displayed at the top of that panel. If you know these are incorrect, you can change them manually. Right-click the footage in the Project panel and choose Interpret Footage > Main. Alter the frame rate and pixel aspect ratio as appropriate. When you add the re-interpreted footage to a new comp, you should find it looks as expected.

Adding an incorrectly interpreted item to a new comp and then changing the comp settings to match the footage isn't the best way to do it.

Simon Bonner

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: proper 24p 1080i workflow
by on Feb 5, 2011 at 8:04:37 pm

I'm thinking the footage is being interpreted okay, it's just that AE is displaying the native resolution in the comp window, rather than the display res. You can toggle on the pixel aspect correction button at the bottom of the comp window to see the correct display resolution.

As to frame rate, hmmm... I've never seen AE improperly interpret the frame rate. Field order occasionally, but not frame rate. Perhaps this footage was accidentally shot 1080i?

One other thing - if you're running any version of AE prior to CS5, this footage will not work properly in its native HDV format, and will need to be converted to one that AE can work with.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: proper 24p 1080i workflow
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 3:51:18 pm

[cherlique lilienthal] " there some kind of blending mode or motion blur i should be using to make the 24p look really smooth?"

Motion blur only works when the layer is in motion. Force Motion Blur is used to fake motion blur when you can't apply it: it MIGHT work to your satisfaction. But in truth, the only way to get smooth motion is to shoot at a higher frame rate, and 24p is a pretty low frame rate. So guess what? You probably won't get the smooth motion you seek. If you shoot 59.94p, it would look a lot smoother, but I doubt your camera's capable of that. The best it can probably do is 59.94i.

You also don't say anything about the final form of your project. If it's for the web, of if you're trying to motion track the footage in AE, or if you intend to make a 24p DVD, you MUST remove the 3:2 pulldown in your footage. Since very few people do an entire project in AE, it's best to remove the pulldown for ALL footage in your editing application.

And remember: the correct frame rate for this type of footage when the pulldown is removed is 23.976 frames/sec. Not 24. Not 23.98. It's 23.976.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved