ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Compositing Over Computer Screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James MurphyCompositing Over Computer Screen
by on Feb 4, 2011 at 9:50:26 pm

Okay, so we have a computer screen (no tracking needed) that someone was still using while shooting it. I need to superimpose an image over this currently-being-used screen. (This was one of those "fix it in post" moments I had no control over.)

I have the image settled properly in place, but I would like to know how to blend it with this screen so as to maintain its texture.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Compositing Over Computer Screen
by on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:00:45 pm

This may sound sort of weird, but I'd start by replacing the in-use screen with something you jigger together in AE to make it look like the monitor was turned off. You know, a dark, slightly off-black solid, then a mask and a solid to simulate light glare.

It's pretty easy after that to get it looking realistic with blend modes on the replacement screen.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Compositing Over Computer Screen
by on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:07:30 pm

is the screen black, and you're trying to maintain the texture/glare that is in the shot, or you're trying to fake the texture/glare?

if it's in the shot, try changing the blending modes for the new screen to see if you can pick up some of the detain from the original screen. i'm thinking maybe overlay might work, but try several of them.

or, conversely, try placing the new screen under the footage and play around with the blending modes or the footage... maybe screen, lighten.. overlay...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Compositing Over Computer Screen
by on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:24:37 pm

If you have another computer screen in the shot (or some other shot) that has the right stuff on, you can maybe comp that on.
If not, maybe you can shoot a computer screen with the right stuff on and replace that. If not video then maybe a still and then match the grain.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved