ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Linking layers in timeline (for keeping sound/video in sync)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Kaufman
Linking layers in timeline (for keeping sound/video in sync)
on Feb 4, 2011 at 9:08:53 pm

Hello everyone,

I searched for an answer on this and didn't find anything, so I hope this hasn't been asked before!

I am working on a project in Premiere/AE CS5. We are using multiple system sound, so the audio is on multiple tracks.

The final product needs to look like a single continuous shot, even though it is 4 shots with cuts hidden via various AE tricks.

What i am running into is that I occasionally need to move a video layer a few frames and if I forget to also grab the sound for it, the sound and video layers get out of sync. Is there a way to link layers in AE so that when one is moved in the timeline, the other moves as well? I know how parent layers, but that only seems to affect effects.

Thank you,

Brian

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Linking layers in timeline (for keeping sound/video in sync)
on Feb 4, 2011 at 9:28:23 pm

could precomp each footage item with its audio layer(s)...? then they'ed be a single layer.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 4, 2011 at 9:40:33 pm

i suppose you could try an expression for time remapping... (i've never tried it with audio, but it seems like it should work)

first, enable time remapping for the audio layer(s), and extend the outPoint of those layers for the duration of the comp.

then enable expressions for time remapping (animation>add expression) and use an expression like this:

target=thisComp.layer("myfootage"); // where 'myfootage' is the footage layer to link the audio to
time-target.inPoint

this should link the audio start time to the inPoint of the footage layer.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 4, 2011 at 9:44:02 pm

actually, linking the audio to the startTime might be better:

target=thisComp.layer("myfootage"); // where 'myfootage' is the footage layer to link the audio to
time-target.StartTime

that way you can trim the footage layer and still maintain sync...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Brian Kaufman
on Feb 4, 2011 at 9:57:10 pm

Both good ideas. I'll give them a go. Now you have me curious about programming for AE (I am a programmer by trade). Thanks for the advice!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:16:20 pm

[Brian Kaufman] "ow you have me curious about programming for AE"

you might take a look at motionscript.com... dan ebberts provides a lot of good expressions along with descriptions of what they do (though you may need less help understanding how the expression works). it's definitely a good place to start with expressions.

there's also the after effects expression forum here (where dan is a moderator) and the forum at aenhancers.com, which is pretty much dedicated to expressions and scripts for ae.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]