ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

assign color profile to quicktime

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Stacey
assign color profile to quicktime
on Feb 4, 2011 at 2:40:34 pm

So, been trying to get a consistant colour from after effects to FCP using prores 4444, using cs5. now i know there's lots of problems and i've read loads about all that.
but the one thing that confuses me is when i go to the output colour settings when i render in after effects, it says:
This format does not support embedded profiles.

so by this format i assume it means quicktime, because i've tried changing the codec.
but quicktime does support embedded profiles. and if i add a HD profile using automater, quicktime displays the correct colours (FCP doesn't, grrrrrrr, but that's my next issue:
does FCP support colour profiles or ignore them? cause it seems to be ignoring them)

thanks

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: assign color profile to quicktime
on Feb 4, 2011 at 6:43:29 pm

The QuickTime format can now contain an embedded ICC color profile. But After Effects doesn't know that. There's a feature record in our database to make it so that After Effects does know about this and can embed an ICC color profile into a QuickTime container; I just called the person responsible for that feature and suggested that I thought that it should be a higher priority for future development. So, there's no need for you to file the feature request.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 4, 2011 at 8:35:22 pm

[Todd Kopriva] "The QuickTime format can now contain an embedded ICC color profile."

Wow.

Does this mean that there's a glimmer of hope on the horizon for consistent color in Quicktime workflows?

And do I understand this correctly that Quicktime may ultimately follow a similar color management model to Adobe, tagging video with an ICC profile and allowing ColorSync to manage the translation to the display profile?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:00:16 pm

It's hard to say at this point, and I don't want to promise anything. But I will say that we're working pretty hard on making sure that we get consistent color throughout our customers' pipelines.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:39:39 pm

Todd, after re-reading what I wrote, I wanted to clarify a little: my comment was targeted at Quicktime, not Adobe. I understand that QT is a moving target, and I think Adobe has done a wonderful job advancing color management on the desktop -- and thank you all for that!

I'm excited to see your note that QT supports embedded ICC profiles (I had no idea), and I hope that this feature will receive broad support in the industry.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Martin Stacey
on Feb 5, 2011 at 11:49:36 am

Yeah, at the moment you can add a profile to your quicktime using automator. you get 3 to choose from, SD, PAL, and HD.
when i use HD my after effects cs5 prores 444 movie looks correct in quicktime (HORRAH!) but hilariously (not) final cut doesn't recognize this, so it's still wrong in that. well done apple!
one day......

here's a link on how to add the profile:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3712
it's right down the bottom.

Return to posts index

ralph smith
on Jul 16, 2012 at 7:22:21 pm

todd, any news on this issue? thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved