ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Crashes with Animation Presets

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Perchert
AE Crashes with Animation Presets
on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:49:42 pm

Hi, I am hoping someone might have an idea as to what to do. I am having issues with AE crashing when/after applying an animation preset to some text. I have a PNG background image, a QT movie (DV) with Keylight being used, about 2 other PNGs on top of that and the text layer. Doesn't matter what font I use and it has happened in previous Comps in the last month. This is a new built PC with 2 Xeon 6 core 3.33 Ghz cpus, 24GB RAM, Quadro4000, Matrox hardware and Adobe Production Premium CS5.
Here is a jpg of the error:
The comp is a 720x486 NTSC comp. Even worse is that after a reboot the preset may or may not work - someimtes it will work fine after reboot. Any ideas?
Thanks. TC

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE Crashes with Animation Presets
on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:53:16 pm

What sort of effects are in this preset? What does this thing do?

The most common cause of such ills: Open GL acceleration for rendering. If you're using it, turn it off right now and leave it off.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Feb 3, 2011 at 11:59:44 pm

It's just the Foggy preset on the text, along with a drop shadow style.
Looks like it just can't find a registry entry... I'll give the OpenGL a shot and see what happens.
TC

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Feb 4, 2011 at 3:27:06 pm

Just did some testing. I think it may have something to do with the DV QT file. It is actually AVID DV file that came from outside source. So I am going to convert to a different file and try it.
Thanks. TC

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 4, 2011 at 3:57:00 pm

Know that DV is extremely lossy. If you render in AE using the DV codec, you probably won't like the result.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Feb 4, 2011 at 4:08:56 pm

Yep, know that, can get acceptable results though - I've been having a tough time finding a file to convert to that won't squish these AVID AVI files. I did convert the files to Matrox Uncompressed SD avi and placed those - one squished, one didn't (wierd). Same crash. Turned off OpenGL. Same crash. I place a text preset on a text layer and hit a preview render - crash. I can make a new comp and have just the text and can put all the presets I want and not have a single crash.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 4, 2011 at 4:14:51 pm

Okay, here's the last thing I have. Do you have the latest updates to AE 10? If no, get 'em right now.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Feb 4, 2011 at 4:53:44 pm

If I recall, I got 10.0.1. Adobe update hasn't told me about any others lately, but I will look.
Thanks for the help.
TC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]