ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keep Motion From Parent After Parents Deletion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy baumgartnerKeep Motion From Parent After Parents Deletion
by on Feb 3, 2011 at 8:10:46 pm

Hi, I'm using a null's rotation to animate the parabolic path of a ball. I'd like the ball to bounce which requires I rotate around a new axis.

Is it it possible to "expand" the rotation data of null into rotation and position for the ball?

Return to posts index

Olin PadillaRe: Keep Motion From Parent After Parents Deletion
by on Feb 3, 2011 at 9:08:13 pm

If I'm following you correctly, you're ball is parented to a null and offset so that when the null rotates the ball moves in an arc, right?

Personally that doesn't sound like a great way to do it. First of all, those arcs will not be parabolic, just round. Second, what's so hard about using position keyframes? Using bezier curves with handles, you can basically draw a path with way more control then your current method.

Unless I missed something.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Keep Motion From Parent After Parents Deletion
by on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:09:45 pm

Yeah, I'm with Olin on that.

You could keyframe just the vertical bouncing motion, and use a Loop Out expression to keep the motion going without having to make a ton of keyframes. Dan Ebberts also has a bouncing ball expression on his web site, and you wouldn't need any keyframes.

Then parent the layer to a null, and move the null horizontally. There's your bounce.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Keep Motion From Parent After Parents Deletion
by on Feb 3, 2011 at 9:24:53 pm

Or you can try doing it with expressions. Here's a thread from the Cow where you can find the expression scripts and explanation:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/227/8214

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]