ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rotoscoping - no clear colour contrast

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Townley
Rotoscoping - no clear colour contrast
on Feb 3, 2011 at 6:05:35 pm

Hey guys,

I am working on a shot which shows a man overlooking a balcony at night (medium shot from directly behind him). I want to composite a firework display directly in front of him, therefore I have rotobrushed around the body and this works fine.

However the character's hair is dark brown and almost completely blends in with the night sky making it almost impossible to define clear edges for a mask. I have tried various contrasting techniques but am still unable to define a clear edge, and as he moves his heads around in front of a bright firework display his head shape looks very wrong.

Any ideas for what to do here would be much appreciated.

Alex

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Rotoscoping - no clear colour contrast
on Feb 3, 2011 at 6:18:13 pm

That's when your talent as a visual effects artist comes into play. Since you can't see the shape of his hair, just animate a shape that looks right. - That is after you played with Levels or Curves to try and see if there's no information in that area that you can bring up.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 3, 2011 at 7:04:14 pm

[Tudor "Ted" Jelescu] "That's when your talent as a visual effects artist comes into play."

Very well put, Ted. I for one would not enjoy this gent's task.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex Townley
on Feb 3, 2011 at 7:10:40 pm

Thank you for the response. Yeah I was kind of guessing there wouldn't be an easy way out! It's pretty tricking trying to animate something you can't see, but keeping it simple and its starting to come along nicely!

Cheers,

Alex

Return to posts index

Olin Padilla
on Feb 3, 2011 at 9:11:11 pm

Just make sure to keep your keyframes to a minimum, and try to match them to the motion of the actor's head. The number one thing that gives away a bad roto is jittery edges.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]