COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael GoldbergStereoscopic footage mixed with stereoscopic graphics
by on Feb 3, 2011 at 1:15:34 pm

Were trying to use sterescopic footage layered
with multiple layers of graphics, but how do we place the
S3D footage. All of the graphic layers are dispersed
in 3D space, but the shot footage needs to fall between
se of the graphic layers. Needless to say, just putting the layer I\\\'m the appropriate stacking order in AE did not work.
Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Stereoscopic footage mixed with stereoscopic graphics
by on Feb 3, 2011 at 4:14:28 pm

I think the general principal will be the same as 2D: solve for the camera, roto elements as necessary, and composite graphics with a matching virtual camera setup. Getting your virtual camera rig as close to the actual camera as possible will be important.

NUKE is the industry's go-to product for stereoscopic compositing. It has stereo support built in and it has the OCULA stereo toolkit available. AE lacks native stereo support, and there are only a few tools to help get around its limitations.

If you must work in AE, check out Chris Keller's awesome stereoscopic scripts for After Effects. The scripts are built to help you manage a stereoscopic camera rig in AE and preview your work inside After Effects with anaglyph glasses. The workflow is still a bit clunky because of AE's limitations, but these scripts are an incredibly well thought-out workaround for this, and they will save you hours and hours of work.

You might also look into Dashwood Stereo3D Toolbox, but this is a Mac-only solution.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved